V11 petrol tank swelling

Paulsmartv11

My petrol tank had been off the bike for a couple of months while I did some other works. Now the tank won't refit, it has increased in width and length, by 1/4 inch, so the forks now touch on full lock, and I can't get rear mounting bolt through hole.

A quick search of internet and I discover its down to the petrol and is common to many other plactic tanks on Ducati's, KTM's Harley, BMW etc,

And the swelling will reduce if tank left dry and venting for a few weeks - is this right????

What options do we have, an alloy custom made tank seems an expensive (and long wait), any one have one thats a replica of original??

Paul

My petrol tank had been off the bike for a couple of months while I did some other works. Now the tank won't refit, it has increased in width and length, by 1/4 inch, so the forks now touch on full lock, and I can't get rear mounting bolt through hole.

A quick search of internet and I discover its down to the petrol and is common to many other plactic tanks on Ducati's, KTM's Harley, BMW etc,

And the swelling will reduce if tank left dry and venting for a few weeks - is this right????

What options do we have, an alloy custom made tank seems an expensive (and long wait), any one have one thats a replica of original??

Paul

I had my tank off, vented and empty over a summer and the sealer didn't prevent the distortion. I ended up reshaping the front rubber tank locators to make it fit. My left fork just touches. I have learned to accept that it is not a well developed layout. Sexy as hell, but tweaked.

I did a forum search on this topic a few weeks ago and someone replied that it is a reversible process, but may take a few months.

I don't know how accurate the response was, I'm just passing it on.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul

Cripes, I'm glad you said something. Wondered what was going on: I took the tank off for just a week and it didn't want to go back on in the worst way. Well, I did get it back on it the worst way: With towels as protection I used two pry bars (one in left hand, one behind right knee levering the tank forward from the rear) while ratcheting the bolt furiously with my right hand.

With the tank off it must vent through the petcock and canister vents, so the growth surprised me. It did get hot in the shed last week, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Here's the kicker: In order to reinstall the side panels I have to lift the tank again! Will get at it before work tomorrow. Wonder if it will shrink up overnight.

Bob

My experience with this....

Do not leave a plastic gas tank with fuel in it sitting for any length not mounted on the bike. I have had an issue with my Griso where I left it for a couple weeks not bolted up. It did not want to mount up when I got around to it. I have had the same issue with others. Empty the tank if you are going to let it sit unmounted for any length of time.

The wifes V11 tank finally started showing signs deformation. I let it sit for a couple months over the winter empty and then coated it with the Casewell fuel tank sealer. That seemed to bring the tank back close to where it should be and we will see how well it holds up.

I am curious, the original post was from a guy in the UK. I did not think they used ethanol in their fuel. Ethanol is what most seem to blame the tank distortion issues on.

My experience with this....

Do not leave a plastic gas tank with fuel in it sitting for any length not mounted on the bike. I have had an issue with my Griso where I left it for a couple weeks not bolted up. It did not want to mount up when I got around to it. I have had the same issue with others. Empty the tank if you are going to let it sit unmounted for any length of time.

The wifes V11 tank finally started showing signs deformation. I let it sit for a couple months over the winter empty and then coated it with the Casewell fuel tank sealer. That seemed to bring the tank back close to where it should be and we will see how well it holds up.

I am curious, the original post was from a guy in the UK. I did not think they used ethanol in their fuel. Ethanol is what most seem to blame the tank distortion issues on.

Some suppliers have E5 or E10 petrol on their forecourt in the UK (Tesco for example). The pump is supposed to have a notice informing the purchaser as such.

Since posting a couple of months ago, I've left the tank empty and vented (fuel cap open). Yesterday I was able to remount the tank, it was still a tight fit, but much better. lost some paint in the process...

So they do shrink a bit.

Its now bolted down, with the hope I can force the tank to return to the correct position/shape.

I will keep the minimum quantity of fuel in it for the future.

Paul

Hi all

Got the Rosso outa the shed yesterday,first time in 18mths its been used!

Took for MOT,no probs there,was great to be on it again after only using my Calli for past year..felt soo fast lol!

However,I have now noticed a small paint blister on the tank, grrr.low down at front of tank so not too noticable..

Wondering if anything to do with this ethanol issue, my tank has swollen a little too, opened up at the front and touches forks when on full lock now....(only just tho) no issues for mot, dnt think he noticed!

Does piss me off tho.....spend £8500 on a new bike....and government changes fuel specs so it effects your tank...its not good.....grrrr......grrrr. They gonna buy me a new tank? doubt it....an of course any new tank is gonna be just the same as will be old stock.....grrrr

Spose I oughta go tax it but maybe I wont and tell emm I put tax money towards a new tank? hmmm wonder if that stand up in court!

Happy Biking, a very very angry Rossoandy!!

(anyone in Kent UK fancy a ride out sometime? )

Hi all

Took for MOT,no probs there,was great to be on it again after only using my Calli for past year..felt soo fast lol!

However,I have now noticed a small paint blister on the tank, grrr.low down at front of tank so not too noticable..

Wondering if anything to do with this ethanol issue, my tank has swollen a little too, opened up at the front and touches forks when on full lock now....(only just tho) no issues for mot, dnt think he noticed!

Does piss me off tho.....spend £8500 on a new bike....and government changes fuel specs so it effects your tank...its not good.....grrrr......grrrr. They gonna buy me a new tank? doubt it....an of course any new tank is gonna be just the same as will be old stock.....grrrr

Spose I oughta go tax it but maybe I wont and tell emm I put tax money towards a new tank? hmmm wonder if that stand up in court!

Rosoandy,

I live in kent, try and get yourself to a guzzi club meet, check Guzzi club uk webs site, we some times meet at a gliding club near Ashford,

Meetings 2nd sunday each month.

Paul

Hi all

Rosoandy,

I live in kent, try and get yourself to a guzzi club meet, check Guzzi club uk webs site, we some times meet at a gliding club near Ashford,

Meetings 2nd sunday each month.

Paul

Must be Chalock Gliding Club....usually club meets ,miles away..

just got my other Guzz ready for use..a TS250!

Since posting a couple of months ago, I've left the tank empty and vented (fuel cap open). Yesterday I was able to remount the tank, it was still a tight fit, but much better. lost some paint in the process...

So they do shrink a bit.

As he said. ^_^

Two years ago I had to replace my '99 swelled tank by a '94 1100 Sport metal one, and let the streched one open and empty on a shelf.

I saw last week that it shrinked enough to be used again without using a crowbar to fit.

I'm pretty pleased to have more than 21L of gas, rather than the 17L of the 1100 Sport.

I gave up on plastic.

08295a29.jpg

'Tis a thing of beauty & a joy forever, but I'd want mine to retain the stock "aero" flush mount gas cap setup. Powder coated black to match the rest of the bike [& save my vision on sunny days! B) ] & it certainly would seem to be a solid solution to the fuel-stretch issue w/ the plastic nylon tank! What did that beauty run you? :wub: