knobby tires

Jacob Ezzell

I did a fantastic ride last week from Evergreen, CO up to Squaw pass and echo lake, and part of it was on dirt. My v-11 has dirt bars on it and handled really well, considering my street tires are nearly bald. Got me curious if anyone had blocky/knobby tires on their guzzi, making it into kind of an adventure guzzi like a BMW 1200GS

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1569_crop.jpg

There's a guy in europe who fits knobbies with spikes for snow riding :notworthy:

Last week I took a chunk out of my sump hitting a rock pretty much doing what you've just done. I think I'd be fitting a bashplate if I was considering dirt tyres. Many moons ago a mate and I did a local dirt ride, the "blue light", on a cx 650. We actually ripped the whole sump off and had to ride out without any oil in the motor....he fitted a bashplate for the next years trip.

You may have logged more miles in the dirt on that trip than most GS owners do in a lifetime! :notworthy:

You green nut!

That should be your handle Jacob,Pistachio MC. :grin:

You may have logged more miles in the dirt on that trip than most GS owners do in a lifetime! :notworthy:

To be fair, only about 5 miles was dirt, the rest of it was paved :)

I wasn't on anything that wasn't graded, no 4wd roads or anything like that. If I tackled that I'd certainly want a bash guard and probably a bike that weighs 300lbs less :) I had an enduro bike once, got a concussion the first time that knocked me out cold for 10 minutes. :helmet: I don't need the temptation, I'll stick to wide dirt roads.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a fantastic ride last week from Evergreen, CO up to Squaw pass and echo lake, and part of it was on dirt. My v-11 has dirt bars on it and handled really well, considering my street tires are nearly bald. Got me curious if anyone had blocky/knobby tires on their guzzi, making it into kind of an adventure guzzi like a BMW 1200GS

AFAIK, all the cool cross-tour rubber [Anakin? Kankakee? Ankaree?] that has massive voids & nice short blocks so they're still about 80% street & 20% dirt at best only come in 19" & 21" front tire sizes. Tend to run to 18" rear wheel sizes too. That was probably 5 years ago when I last checked tho', when Buell was still making the Ulysses & they switched to a 17" front & had to go w/ a pure street tire, maybe things have changed for the better since then? :huh2:

You'd be crying for the rest of your life in case you'd dented your pipes out there.

Bah! Dented the cans parked up & pushing it about in the shed at home!

Boo hoo. My can got dented – and I was on a road. And my tank and fork leg got bashed/nicked - and it was in the Official MG Agents. Yeah – and more.

Safest place for the bike is out in the wilderness.

I was at a very wet and muddy rally last weekend and there were several GS riders kitted out with all the Touratech gear, including a MCN journalist, who did not want to get their bikes muddy and take them onto the field :whistle:

Yes, my Quota got very muddy :mg: