Convert to linked braking system

68C

My old T3 has the usual linked braking system - the footpedal operates the rear disk and one front disk, the handlever operates the other disk. I found this an excellent system particularly with thick winter gloves.

I fancy converting my V11 to this set-up, has anyone done this.

I ask as I assume the T3 rear master cylinder is sized to operate the two disks and of course the handlever to operate the single, will the standard V11 master cylinders be OK. Can I just run new brake lines in without changing any major components. One problem I notice is it may be difficult to connect two pipes to the rear master cylinder as it appears to use the switch to hold the present single line - I doubt there will be enough thread for two lines, perhaps there is a banjo available that has two connections, or perhaps delete the hydraulic switch and use a simple mechanically operated switch.

Any ideas?

In 10 years on the form here, I don't recall anyone doing this. If you try the search function, define the search by "relevance" using the drop-down after the initial search.

Also, you might check the forums at Wilgguzzi as lots of those folks have had linked brake experience and may have done some conversions.

Best of luck!

Don't know specifics, but I think you'll find the m/c pistons are sized appropriately for the calipers they activate. If you change piston area they have to work on braking performance will be affected.

I went other way & delinked Tonti - changed f m/c & rear caliper.

KB :sun:

Do not waste your time doing this..........I don't think you will see any benefit from this.

agreed, don't waste your time, the V11 should be braked from the front, mostly..

if you do it anyway, I think you could just get a system (m/c hoses etc) off an EV, mount the manifold/proportioning stuff in an out of the way place, make the hoses fit up to your existing calipers. probably need to change out the front pump to the one off the EV too.

I suspect that the rear brake pads would wear out very quickly !!

Hmmm, good point. The rear pads are already undesized and wear out quickly enough.

A lot to think about there.

About forty years ago I was riding along on my BSA Bantam with a new peak on my hemet, I was looking at my reflection in shop windows to see how cool I looked when the car in front stopped! This resulted in a broken right thumb and a chipped tooth. All has been well for years but now I am developing pain in my right thumb so thought of altering the bike to help.

I have noticed over the years how bikes have become much more front end loaded, all the handling seems to have moved to the front wheel with the rear just there for parking.

About forty years ago I was riding along on my BSA Bantam with a new peak on my hemet, I was looking at my reflection in shop windows to see how cool I looked when the car in front stopped! ...................

Lol, nearly 50 years ago, the day before my bike test, showing my appreciation of a pretty girl in her sun dress, climbed up the back of a Minor 1000. Bent forks and smashed speedo. Bet she remembers that day with absolute pleasure :cheese:

Forks pulled 'straight' with tractor, speedo taped up, test passed next day (it was raining and the tester wanted to be home early :whistle:

About forty years ago I was riding along on my BSA Bantam with a new peak on my hemet, I was looking at my reflection in shop windows to see how cool I looked when the car in front stopped! This resulted in a broken right thumb and a chipped tooth. All has been well for years but now I am developing pain in my right thumb so thought of altering the bike to help.

I have noticed over the years how bikes have become much more front end loaded, all the handling seems to have moved to the front wheel with the rear just there for parking.

my first *real* motorcycle was a BSA Bantam, i think a 1948, had some kind of girder? fork with big rubber bands? had a rusty chrome tank with a rooster decal on it.

bought it at a yard sale for $15.00, pushed it home (didn't run). got it running, loved that bike. i was 11 years old, that's how this motorcycle thing all started. ;^)

stef

my first *real* motorcycle was a BSA Bantam, i think a 1948, had some kind of girder? fork with big rubber bands? had a rusty chrome tank with a rooster decal on it.

bought it at a yard sale for $15.00, pushed it home (didn't run). got it running, loved that bike. i was 11 years old, that's how this motorcycle thing all started. ;^)

stef

If you've lived with old brit bikes, you have different expectations of what a front brake should do (or not). The BSA C15 I learned on did all its stopping on the back brake. So much so, that when my throttle cable snapped one day, I put a screw-on brass nipple on the cable and used the front brake lever as a throttle as a temporary fix - for two months. I missed the front brake that much. That was 35 years ago, even got stopped by the police several times and they didn't think that bit worthy of comment: if they caught you doing that now they'd throw away the key.

Back to the point, the V11 doesn't seem to me as front loaded as, say, Jap I4s.

So the main worry is the high wear rate of the rear pads. I will see if I can live with that, perhaps fit a different rear caliper?