Transmission Recall, Broken 6th Gear?

Guest Tmartin

Guest Tmartin

I just received a call from the dealership that I bought my V11S from and was told that there is a factory recall on the transmission. Sixth gear breaks in half under load or something like that. I was told that I have to get the bike in right away (some kind of time limit for repairing this fault). If I didn’t have the repair done and the gear broke later I would be responsible for fixing it. The trans has to be removed and dissembled and it takes about 1 week. I bought my bike in March of 2000.

I have never had any shifting or other types of trans problems. Has anyone else been informed regarding this recall? And, if so, what was your experience? I’m worried that when the bike has been “repaired” that I may have transmission related problems.

I have located this link about the recall: http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/viewtopic.p...smission+recall

Look down about three threads :P The search function works great too :rolleyes: (...sorry I couldn't resist :lol: )

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1646

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1611

...both threads have comments interwoven on the two different current recalls(transmission, conn-rods) that are happening for the 2000-01'ish Sports.

I don't know that anyone has had the work done yet under the recall, but Mike Stewart has a post or two in these threads regarding his transmission failure last year that sounds like it may have been related. He had his repaired, and I think it's fine now. A couple other folks on the forum have mentioned here and there that they've had their transmissions replaced/rebuilt as well in the last year or two under warrantee for what sounds like a similar issue, and I think all is well.

Don't fret though.. you aren't alone. Just think, all the '02 guys like me that chose to have their engines rebuilt to fix the bubbling paint will be biting our nails as well worrying that a perfectly fine running engine will come back buggered....

We'll see :huh2:

Good luck, and let us know how your experience goes. My engine teardown is scheduled for Feb 03 :unsure:

al

I just got a call today about the gearbox recall. My '01 V11 may be part of it. You should check your dealer about the other recall involving big end cap bolts and nuts failing. Last I checked there is no shrapnel covers on the Guzzi engine.

Taking the bike in for warranty work is a nervous experience, thinking about other problems which may crop up with the bike. But, not responding to a recall request is worse, it would really leave you hanging out to dry legally if you get a gearbox or engine lockup which chucks you down the road.

Ciao, Steve G.

Hey Tracy Martin!

Where you been?

I thought you gave up on the Goose.

Funny thing about shift quality.

My bike used to find false neutrals for maybe the first 10,000 miles, then I went about another 10,000 miles finding only about 3 false neutrals in 10,000 miles, than after about 20,000 miles it started missing again.

Could be that my bike is due for an annual oil change, but it could be the recalled problem.

My misshifts now are all upshifting to third gear while previously they were in no specific gear.

I still blame some of it on technique, but it is unforgiving shifting to third now.

Monday I emailed to make an appointment, it could be a long wait.

My misshifts now are all upshifting to third gear ...it is unforgiving shifting to third now.

We should all keep constantly in mind the words of Bento: "...just remember that 80%of the time tirg gear is NOT your friend...".... :wacko:

In my car I can miss tirg out altogether... :rolleyes:

KB, Cymru :sun:

My misshifts now are all upshifting to third gear while previously they were in no specific gear.

I still blame some of it on technique, but it is unforgiving shifting to third now.

This is what my tranny started doing after 16,500. ( Long story, most of you 've heard it). Then it was the downshift, too. Then any shift going into or out of third gear. Made riding a real tirg. ^_^

I found that when it missed a gear i would have to go back for it. As if it had passed the detent for the gear. David, is this what you find?

That ' gear passing' behavior is what led me to believe the springs on the early boxes are made of coat hanger wire. While the pawl spring can break, I believe the detent spring just gets weak. :(

As the old air head B M U-know-what mechanics say, " if you can see a spring, change it." ( Those gearboxes have the same type shift mechanism as the 6-speed Guzzi).

I found that when it missed a gear i would have to go back for it. As if it had passed the detent for the gear. David, is this what you find?

You know, I can't remember.

Let me get back to you on that.

I don't think I have to go back for the gear, I just upshift again, but I don't remember if it goes into third or fourth gear,

Alot of what I am getting is that it will go into third, but not as smoothly as the other gears.