Crinkly Tank

GraeV11

Not sure why you would blame ethanol if he said "I avoid fuel that contains ethanol".

Possibly a defective tank, or maybe there is something else in the fuel that would do that. Ethanol is not the only thing being added to gasoline nowadays.

As far as what to do about it, there have been a few people, myself included, that have drained the tank, let it thoroughly dry out, then sealed it with a tank sealer like Casewell epoxy tank sealer. I don't know how others have turned out but the one I did is working well so far.... Time will tell.

There are at least two people making aluminum tanks, but one is in the UK and the other I think is in Europe.

One thing to consider is I have heard there are short tanks for the red frame bikes and slightly longer tanks for the rest. Not sure if that is true (I only have the wifes red frame version) but it makes sense.

Not sure why you would blame ethanol if he said "I avoid fuel that contains ethanol".

Possibly a defective tank, or maybe there is something else in the fuel that would do that. Ethanol is not the only thing being added to gasoline nowadays.

As far as what to do about it, there have been a few people, myself included, that have drained the tank, let it thoroughly dry out, then sealed it with a tank sealer like Casewell epoxy tank sealer. I don't know how others have turned out but the one I did is working well so far.... Time will tell.

There are at least two people making aluminum tanks, but one is in the UK and the other I think is in Europe.

One thing to consider is I have heard there are short tanks for the red frame bikes and slightly longer tanks for the rest. Not sure if that is true (I only have the wifes red frame version) but it makes sense.

Thanks. A project for the winter months I think. A new shiny alloy tank is quite hard to sneak past the wife. She would have other ideas for the ££££ it would cost.

On early Sports, the tank does tend to sit down hard at the rear and ride in the side covers chafing and spreading the tank. Fitting a stack of fender washers under the rear tank mount can lift enough to relieve this pressure and stop the spread.

Not likely that will address the damage already done. :(

It certainly is possible that there is a fitment issue. His bike appears to be a later black frame bike, but there could still be some sort issue with regard to how it is fitting on the bike and resolving that (if present) could help.

Is the tank sitting on the tank freely or is there any pressure being applied to it?

It certainly is possible that there is a fitment issue. His bike appears to be a later black frame bike, but there could still be some sort issue with regard to how it is fitting on the bike and resolving that (if present) could help.

Is the tank sitting on the tank freely or is there any pressure being applied to it?

I took the tank off earlier this year to replace the oil return pipe. It dropped back on without any pressure being applied. I will pull it again this weekend and see if the same applies. I wondered if it is my riding style - I tend to grip the tank between my legs rather than hang off at corners- the damage is the same on the other side in the same place. The damage seemed worse after last weekend when I had completed a 750 mile trip in 90 degree heat. :huh2: