New to the Griso 1200

jihem

Hi all,

Voilà. I sold the Supertwin a year ago. Without regrets. I had a great time with that bike, did about 50.000 kms and sold it for a fair price to another Guzzisti.

Then I bought a 1985 V50 III Nato. 30 PK at most. A great looking bike and an absolute blast as a town bike but a real oil leaker. Had many issues to fix on the first one, gave it away and bought another one. That one just got to the point where all the gremlins were fixed when a friend told me he wanted to sell his 2008 6500 kms black Griso (all issues and warranty cam solved when my friend bought it new) for a price that decency forbids me to reveal.

So, i sold the Nato and bought the 8 valvers (i don't own a garage and actually don't like having multiple bikes that much). What a great engine ! What a noisy but precise gearbox! What a looooong bike ! What a heavy bike ! What a pain in town ! But, above all, what a great ride :)

So, back here where I'm sure the Griso's knowledge is as good as the V11's.

Next step ? getting rid of the ridiculously large exhaust and fix the wind-on-the-motorway-above-120kms problem.

If you want info on how that exhaust actually performs, (and how it performs relative to the promises made about it) pm me – though there are previous posts on here about it (and not only my posts).

Thanx guys :)

Getting use to the bike and its size. Does quite well in town altho i miss the 150 kgs of the Nato :)

I'm in the market for an exhaust (right side of the bike would be ideal) and a windshield...

My Griso, an '07 2 valver, has the right side exhaust from Todd as pictured above.

It looks perfect.

From everything I have heard about the 8 valve motor it is not well designed in the cam timing aspect and does not respond to a free breathing exhaust like other motors do. What ever exhaust you go with I would suggest that you employ a restrictor/db killer of some sort. Todd offers one for his exhausts I believe, most others offer one as well. But the only right side exhaust I know of is Todd's. I don't know why they would not be more common as it suits the bike well.

Also, you may need to adjust fueling to make it work well enough. But that depends on the exhaust, the bike, and your standards for how well a bike should run. Guzzi's are notoriously different, bike to bike. What works well on one bike may not work well on another. Some of that is down to the standards of the person, but I believe some of that is the bike as I have ridden multiple Griso's and they have all been different. Mine had a pinging issue from the start which required some fuel adjustments (read $$$) to resolve, others did not have the issue.

I never understand the windshield thing, though. Unless you are looking for the little Guzzi fly screen I can't help you there.

Mine has the little Guzzi fly screen that keeps bugs off the instrument cluster, that is all it needs. I can ride the bike that way as fast as it will go. No issues. Oh well......

My Griso, an '07 2 valver, has the right side exhaust from Todd as pictured above.

I agree: it looks perfect but I've heard from various sources it's loud as Hell and isn't a plug n' play operation on a 8v (plus needs work on the bike's setup). Will carry looking for insights. The mistral looks good too and isn't very expensive.

Mine has the little Guzzi fly screen that keeps bugs off the instrument cluster, that is all it needs. I can ride the bike that way as fast as it will go. No issues. Oh well......

in my case, glasses + pilot jet helmet mean troubles when going fast: I need something to attempt divert the wind...

I like the GuzziTech exhaust best. It sounds great and it exits on the right side so the rear wheel is fully exposed on the left side. It is also made so well that it could be a work of art just looking at the welds.

gtrx-g-rs.jpg

Hey Jim......... are you around this week at all..PM me as soon as you can.

Regards;