Hiho Playmates!

Gritman

Neat project! What a great motor and thanks to Umberto Todero.

Gritman, What is that black frame with the red sideplates? From the Centauro?

Thanks Docc, that is the V11 frame and plates in the photos. The Centauro lurks in another corner of the workshop, awaiting its fate :luigi: As the V11/V10 hybrid will be the road bike, it will probably end up as a track day special..... Hell, there's plenty of winters to fill up with projects!

Interesting, this looks like an early, unbraced short frame, but not red. I thought these were only on the Rosso Mandello, but not with those side plates. Did you paint or powder coat the frame black?

Interesting, this looks like an early, unbraced short frame, but not red. I thought these were only on the Rosso Mandello, but not with those side plates. Did you paint or powder coat the frame black?

I'm not sure as the pictures don't give enough detail but those could be Rosso Mandello side plates - interesting that it has a black tank and silver seat cowl. Perhaps a bit of parts exchange or what?

Not much history came with the V11.... was owned by a retired engineer (it came apart really easily with copperslip on every nut n bolt except the clutch slave -grrrr) and I think the mutton chops have been recoated at some point... I've done nothing to the donor bike - no paint or parts exchange (apart from motor of course). Don't think its an RM, sadly!

My modus operandi is to put it all together, give it a good shakedown and correct any functional issues. Ride it all summer then take it off the road the following winter, make it pretty and do any upgrades.

Bikes are never finished!

• 1 month later...

Happy new year folks! :bier: The delay on the RAM clutch has held me up a bit, but lots to do before it goes in. Decoated the motor and resprayed along with the g'box and bevel drive. Curing with a heat gun and avoiding temperature sensitive seals etc was laborious, but hopefully worth it.... you judge. I'll curse if it all falls off :bbblll:

motorandbox_zpsd2a2883b.png

oops :homer: crap mobile phone pic.....

A well-timed xmas delivery from Mr Roper spared the family from too much exposure to scrooge and in went the sloppage plate. Nearly got lost inside that cavernous crankcase. So many places for the oil to hide, but not any more. :thumbsup:

roper2_zps303c2a89.jpg

you can just about make out the motor builder and date scratched onto the filter......

Clutch SHOULD arrive very soon and real progress can start. :luigi:

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update - now at a standstill. RAM clutch ordered end november still no news at all...... have a look in the wanted section for the whole story, but in short if anyone has a single plate clutch centre they can sell me...................

As I sold the original twin plater, I'm stuffed :homer:

Paul something, I'm thinking his surname began with an "M?" I only remember his first name because it's the same as my brother's, so hard for me to forget...

There are a couple folks on this forum who have done something like that. Look up Jihem and a French fellow who's name I can't remember, but his very trick V11 was stolen 4-5 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, heres the thing. The shed is full of 2 disassembled guzzis and I'm moving 250 miles away on Friday. :o Bitter experience tells me that a bike moved in boxes rarely gets back together :oldgit: ; a fate I am keen to avoid. Meanwhile, for the past month - well, two since the order was placed, but I'm being charitable -  I've been waiting on a RAM clutch. However, despite the assistance of mznyc & Pete Roper with the missing centre, my nerve has cracked. A 2-plater from the spare Centauro motor went in with a new pushrod cup for the 6-speeder and a new set of friction plates. This way, at least I can get the thing looking like a bike before I lose the shed at the end of march. Then with all the significant work done, it shouldn't be too hard to finish it off, despite the house build...... We shall see.

A RAM would have been sooooooo much easier to fit. How I hate aligning that stack of plates. :blush: Next week I'll mount the frame, fit the forks and swingarm and start to unravel the harness....... :luigi:

drop in the basket,

029_zps3e4b3da4.jpg

Add the plates,

030_zps1cce8054.jpg

then on with the 'box!

032_zps6e2b2b35.jpg

don't it look pretty? Hope that coating stays on.........

031_zps29612e9b.jpg

Well thats a days work for me. The nicely powder-coated frame in the background goes on next week, along with forks and swingarm - providing nothing like packing up the house gets in the way :ninja:

Hey Phil, it looks good, no? Best colour I've found to date that doesn't cost megabucks. However, if you wait a few months, I can tell you if it stays on :whistle:

meanwhile, if you wanna try it out.... here it is on ebay

ciao!

So, how did you prep it? I'm doing a Lario as we speak, and have been giving the prep job some thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Watch the diagnostics tread, in short time you will be able to flash the 15m ecu with anything you like. Like the mgs01 map

Wouldn't he need to bore out the cylinders to 1225cc to support that map? I thought the MGS01 was punched out vs. the V10 QV motors?

Nevertheless, I'm excited about the news on the diagnostics thread, thanks for all your work there, Paul! At least now we know why you haven't been hanging out here in V11LM land, you've had bigger fish to fry! :luigi:

• 1 month later...

OK its been a while. Moved house and been without interweb connection for about 6 weeks - thanks BT - but we are back up now, and bottomed out the house project.

20130313_082931_zps165c0ef5.jpg

With good behaviour, I've been able to spend some cash on fuel and get back to the shed to try and remember where all the bits are. It could have been enjoyable, but I chose a week when temperatures were at 0 to -1 (feels like -5 -6 with wind chill) and drifting snow in the pennines made getting about interesting :mellow:  Negotiated another coupla months lease on the shed, cos it is never gonna make the easter deadline :grin:

BTW; Many thanks to mznyc and Pete Roper for their help with the clutch centre. For everyones info, if you want to fit a RAM clutch and there are no centres (because they are supplied by MG who don't need a lot of them and won't devote production facilities to support their client businesses) you can use any centre, Scura ones are better, but you can machime down a twin plater to suit. So just place your order minus centre and use your old one  :whistle:

Unfroze the spanners from my numb digits for evidence of progress.....

20130327_170931_zpsd5186aa2.jpg

20130327_170956_zps6d1d59b1.jpg

20130327_170946_zps50fe9760.jpg

Now all I have to do is attach those round things with rubber bands that are usually at the bottom of the bike so it can be pushed into my van relatively easily. Then it can be transported to the building site to share space with cement mixers and other less attractive applications of the internal combustion engine. 

Still confident to be riding by summer..... :thumbsup: .