Hiho Playmates!

Gritman

Greetings fellow Guzzisti from the rainy northwest uk! Perhaps it is the rain that keeps me in the shed so much, trying to build the ultimate Guzzi.......:wacko:

This started about 9 years ago with a heap of scrap that turned into a v7 sport-alike 950 special which was eventually repatriated when a Centauro arrived. In between was a LMII resto and a LM IV freshen-up - both of which were survived by the first 950 special. The Centauro lasted, tho now up for sale, until I bought my (first) V11. :helmet: Very pleased with it too.

Ok, so the V11 is a great bike, but its not the best bike Guzzi never built, and being tired of waiting for them to do it the 'spare 4v hi-cam V10 engine kicking around the shed will be inserted into the V11 to give me the best of all worlds - the stonkin' hi-cam motor in the sharper handling 6-speed V11 rolling chassis. Whats not to like?

I'll be trawling around the forum so I don't have to reinvent too many wheels and I'll probably have a few queries to post too :luigi:

Ciao!

Greetings fellow Guzzisti from the rainy northwest uk! Perhaps it is the rain that keeps me in the shed so much, trying to build the ultimate Guzzi.......:wacko:

This started about 9 years ago with a heap of scrap that turned into a v7 sport-alike 950 special which was eventually repatriated when a Centauro arrived. In between was a LMII resto and a LM IV freshen-up - both of which were survived by the first 950 special. The Centauro lasted, tho now up for sale, until I bought my (first) V11. :helmet: Very pleased with it too.

Ok, so the V11 is a great bike, but its not the best bike Guzzi never built, and being tired of waiting for them to do it the 'spare 4v hi-cam V10 engine kicking around the shed will be inserted into the V11 to give me the best of all worlds - the stonkin' hi-cam motor in the sharper handling 6-speed V11 rolling chassis. Whats not to like?

I'll be trawling around the forum so I don't have to reinvent too many wheels and I'll probably have a few queries to post too :luigi:

Ciao!

There are a couple folks on this forum who have done something like that. Look up Jihem and a French fellow who's name I can't remember, but his very trick V11 was stolen 4-5 years ago.

Good Lord, I sound like hick giving directions. 'Take the second left after the old Johnson place. It burned down two years ago, but everyone in these parts knows where it used to be.'

Got it- Zebulon.

The train is on the track, but I'm not sure where the track goes... :oldgit:

Hey! Nice welcome chaps..... this build is a no brainer so I knew others would have done it!

Atm the plan is.... V11 clutch to mate up v10 motor with with v11 gearbox, some engineering for the front subframe, My15m ecu, and faff about with exhausts a bit. :thumbsup:

Anyone know of anything else I should pay attention to?

Once its bottomed out, the 1225 conversion may follow - funds permitting...:rolleyes:

And there we have it, the ultimate road-going Guzzi :notworthy: and perhaps, not too bad at track days.

(ps motor on the bench for 12 months already guzzirider - customer apparently baulked at motomecca's full rebuild costs - even got a limited guarantee on the job. What nice people.)

• 1 month later...

and winter has arrived again! Time to take to the shed and execute the plan.

Strip down a perfectly serviceable V11 Sport and remove the engine. Place new engine conveniently for swap.

Oldout.jpg

Remove the 6-speed 'box from the old pushrod lump and bolt it to the back of the V10 motor. Does it look like it will fit?

willitfit.jpg

Fantastic. Some reworking of the reg/rect location on the fromt A frame - the old mount points foul the cambelt cover. Apart from that it all looks good on the first dry assembly.

yesitwill.jpg

So, just attach a few ancillaries to check there are no issues, then strip off all the bits for coatings/platings and order the My15m.

Meanwhile, the engine, throttle bodies, alternator and a clutch are up for sale to fund the next stages. See the Classifieds section of the forum if toy are interested. also lots of Centauro parts available!

and winter has arrived again! Time to take to the shed and execute the plan.

Strip down a perfectly serviceable V11 Sport and remove the engine. Place new engine conveniently for swap.

Oldout.jpg

Remove the 6-speed 'box from the old pushrod lump and bolt it to the back of the V10 motor. Does it look like it will fit?

willitfit.jpg

Fantastic. Some reworking of the reg/rect location on the fromt A frame - the old mount points foul the cambelt cover. Apart from that it all looks good on the first dry assembly.

yesitwill.jpg

So, just attach a few ancillaries to check there are no issues, then strip off all the bits for coatings/platings and order the My15m.

Meanwhile, the engine, throttle bodies, alternator and a clutch are up for sale to fund the next stages. See the Classifieds section of the forum if toy are interested. also lots of Centauro parts available!

This is exactly the same project I'm doing now. I haven't started the swap yet as I'm in the middle of rebuilding the engine. I managed to buy a V10 front subframe just in case there was a clearance issue and I also have a Myecu waiting to go on. Cliff Jefferies reccons the std V11 map is a good place to start with the V10 motor.

The only other real task I can see is you have to raise the front tank mount about 30mm which means some sort of adapter or mod to the frame mount. I dont want this new mount to be a permanent mod as I would still like the option of returning the bike to std if I so desire.

I am also going to fit the later internal pump tank as well. Keep the posts and photos coming.

Ciao

• Like 1

Great minds think alike Phil :thumbsup: This has been a long time coming, and I can't wait for spring.... Thanks for the heads up on raising the tank - an alloy block between the 'buttons' will do the job for me. You may find the Centauro A frame superfluous - it doesn't have the 10mm offset of the V11 that allows the wider 6-speed 'box to fit - I sourced one too, just in case, and have now filed it with the heap of unused odd parts. I removed the reg/rect brackets from the V11 A frame and will mount it behind the headlight as per Centauro; it is all getting a bit busy down there. Dry assembly hasn't thrown up any real head scratchers so its all disassembled again for plating n painting.

Are you using a My16M or a My 15M? I'm sticking with the 15M and will try it with a PCIII before I lash out on one of Cliff Jeffries desirable boxes. TBH, when I was riding the V11, the fuelling seemed pretty spot-on. The 16M on my Centauro hasn't impressed, despite strict TB balancing, so I wouldn't want to use it on this build even with a PCIII. Good luck with the engine build!

Neat project! What a great motor and thanks to Umberto Todero.

Gritman, What is that black frame with the red sideplates? From the Centauro?

Thanks Docc, that is the V11 frame and plates in the photos. The Centauro lurks in another corner of the workshop, awaiting its fate :luigi: As the V11/V10 hybrid will be the road bike, it will probably end up as a track day special..... Hell, there's plenty of winters to fill up with projects!

Great minds think alike Phil :thumbsup: This has been a long time coming, and I can't wait for spring.... Thanks for the heads up on raising the tank - an alloy block between the 'buttons' will do the job for me. You may find the Centauro A frame superfluous - it doesn't have the 10mm offset of the V11 that allows the wider 6-speed 'box to fit - I sourced one too, just in case, and have now filed it with the heap of unused odd parts. I removed the reg/rect brackets from the V11 A frame and will mount it behind the headlight as per Centauro; it is all getting a bit busy down there. Dry assembly hasn't thrown up any real head scratchers so its all disassembled again for plating n painting.

Are you using a My16M or a My 15M? I'm sticking with the 15M and will try it with a PCIII before I lash out on one of Cliff Jeffries desirable boxes. TBH, when I was riding the V11, the fuelling seemed pretty spot-on. The 16M on my Centauro hasn't impressed, despite strict TB balancing, so I wouldn't want to use it on this build even with a PCIII. Good luck with the engine build!

Ok Gritman thanks for the info on the "A" frame.forgot about the offset but it cost me little so I guess its back on ebay and I'll mod the original regulator bracket as well.

I'll be using the 15m as i have already bought one off Cliff. I have all the parts for a rebuild to the cylinder heads. Ram clutch freshly replated cylinders,new pistons,Joe Caruso oil pump and cam drive gears and German oil pump.The heads are really where all the expense is and I'm trying to convert the lifters and rocker to the later type with mini pushrods. Its taking a while. Yours will probably be done before mine so keep the info coming.

Ciao

That's a nice project. Just as an aside, the V11 Sport rear sub-frame, seat and tank (with appropriate positional modifications) would probably have bolted right onto the Centauro frame.

It would but you wouldnt have the 6 speed box.

Ciao

That's a nice project. Just as an aside, the V11 Sport rear sub-frame, seat and tank (with appropriate positional modifications) would probably have bolted right onto the Centauro frame.

Ciao

Nor would you have the steeper fork angle of the early V11's.

I've always thought that the V11 motor was meant for the Centauro's handling and style and the V10 motor better suited the V11's style and handling. Perhaps I'll look for another V11 - switch motors and have the best of three world's! HA! The wheelies with the V10 motor - I can see the purist's cringing already!

Ciao

Nor would you have the steeper fork angle of the early V11's.

I've always thought that the V11 motor was meant for the Centauro's handling and style and the V10 motor better suited the V11's style and handling. Perhaps I'll look for another V11 - switch motors and have the best of three world's! HA! The wheelies with the V10 motor - I can see the purist's cringing already!

Selection of parts for a project is the most time consuming (and saving) part of the process. How reassuring to hear you chaps confirm my choices :thumbsup:. I've owned my Centauro for 3 years and love it dearly. The best features being its distinctive looks and Guzzis best ever sports engine. On the downside, it is a bit cumbersome on my local roads and as I've always preferred the twisties, it got me thinking how to get the best of all worlds. In an ideal world, the donor V11 would have been 2004 or later for the wider rear wheel and in-tank pump, and the motor would have a 1225 conversion, but funds would not permit.... Not that I'm unhappy with what I've got.

Anywaysup, this was the V11 before I got to spannerin'

v11start.JPG