Lovely film: Elefantentreffen 1970

This is great.

I wish I could understand the narration.

Wonderful stuff David, thanks.

Must have been a hardier breed then, uncovered faces riding in the snow - less of course snow is warmer on the continent :whistle:

So much interesting (and functional) equipment, narrow tyres, cotton tents etc, almost justifies getting a Ural and having a go.

Get some petrol on that fire :grin:

This is great.

I wish I could understand the narration.

Film of 1970 Elephant Rally

COOL old footage-literally.Reminds me of an old gent named Walt Healy who had a delearship in these parts,he would ride year round with his sidecar rig, I believe till he was about Eighty. Pretty hardcore! I used to like studding up the dirtbike and going out on the ice ,usually a frozen lake...good fun, particularly after a snowfall. Having the bike crossed-up in 5th gear and berming the snow 10 feet in the air like waterskiing was kind of a hoot. Riding on ice and snow with a heavy streetbike is a different ballgame though, especially without a sidecar! I don't think I will be studding up the Guzzi anytime soon!

Les Miserables!! Great video, but it didn't make me want to go out and do that kind of rally anytime soon.

Talk about hard core? Just imagine what it took just to start up some of those 2 strokers after they froze down over night.

Thanks for sharing this one.

Dx