Which plug to drain engine oil ?

bikelee

About to change all the fluids but, which plug do I remove ? There are 2 on the rear of the engine sump. Which one do I remove, the small or the large one ? Thanks !!

Are you changing the engine oil and oil filter ? You can go to a FASTENAL store or an auto parts store and purchase a nut measuring 1" across the nut flats and use it to remove the manhole cover. This contains the oil filter and it acts as the drain plug.

I took the manhole cover off and there is an rtv like substance on the o-ring seal. What is that stuff ? Is that stuff on a new o-ring ? I'm gonna replace it. I think it is just good practice. Where can I get this o-ring ? Also, if you look at the second pic, to the right you see 2 sealing washers, where can I get those. They have a rubber inner seal. I need new ones. They are used on all the drain plugs of the rear drive and trans.  As before, any help would be appreciated. Working on this Guzzi has been a real learning experience. Thanks, Leon. :notworthy:

guzzi%2520seals%2520004.jpgguzzi%2520seals%2520001.jpg

Lee Moto International should have those in stock.I've never seen this gasket as most of us find it easier to drop the pan.There is a paper gasket between the block and pan and can be re-used several times if handled with care.Also a hose clamp around the new filter to prevent it from backing out is advised.I don't have one on mine FWIW.And make sure you have the old gasket from the old filter.Dont ask me how I know this.Also cleaning the mesh filter and check with a magnet for particles would be good practice once a year.

About to change all the fluids but, which plug do I remove ? There are 2 on the rear of the engine sump. Which one do I remove, the small or the large one ? Thanks !!

either will work.  Don't ask how I know

• 1 month later...

I was able to research this on this forum by search function and the smaller (middle bolt) is recommended.  

BTW- I don't have a socket to fit the big plug and the crescent wrench won't fit.

here's the link

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11803&hl=%2Boil+%2Bdrain+%2Bbolt

I would have gone for "the one on the bottom" to drain the most oil from the pan. It is the bolt with the smaller head.

3,5 liter sump capacity (3.72 US quarts). Not sure the filter and its plumbing would hold a half liter.

If you're going to change the oil without the filter, recheck the level on the dip stick when hot and top up.

I like my level a bit on the high side.