Preemptive Shift Return Spring and Pawl Arm Replacement

sp838

Hello Folks...

I'm pretty new to all this stuff... I did ask about a Fairing and month or so ago, and through this forum have sourced one...

Big problem for me now though... Riding to work this morning keeping my 2002 le mans at low revs I suddenly found that I could no longer change gear.

Clutch is fine , but there is very little movement in the gear changer, and not much spring in it, and it's now stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. 

Does this sound like the Pawl arm and selector spring as per what you guys are discussing????

If so... Is it an "engine out" job as i do not have a garage/work shop to play in...

H.E.L.P.....

Ta

Mitch

Mitch

Post #2 explains how to do it,give it a read.Not hard.Probably a spring.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Missed gears, false neutrals, inconsistant lights, strange noises and poor 1st gear selection. Diagnosis: It's a Moto Guzzi"

Missed gears, false neutrals = happens sometimes...it's a Moto Guzzi

Strange noises = only the clutch when the handle is not squeezed and the motor is on idle...

Poor 1st gear selection = when the clutch handle is released a bit, then 1st gear engages...

Inconsistant lights = never experienced

Yes, this is a standard issue with all the HD:s also, clutch sound is no any worry, and release the clutch a bit and you´ll go for it...

• 2 weeks later...

My bike is shifting much better now that I replaced the arm and all the springs. I think also putting in the correct amount of fresh Redline gear oil made her happier too. I accidentally added 20ml of moly as well, which is supposed to go in the rear drive hub, but I figured hey, why not, and left it there. Shifts like butter now.

• 9 months later...

I am in the process of trying to remove the gear cover.  My bike got stuck in third gear and I can't get it into neutral, as its stuck in third.  I'm down to the gear cover, but it won't budge.  I removed the eleven bolts that hold the cover, and I've whacked the cover with a rubber mallet, but no luck.  Can this cover be removed if the bike is not in neutral?  Also, there are two bolts (I presume are adjusters of some sort) that are attached top the cover as well.  Do these come off?  And how about the acorn nut one; does this have to be removed to get the cover off?  I'm aware off the threads by belfastguzzi but the pictures don't come up on my computer. 
Thanks in advance for your help.

It seems that I needed to use a bit more persuasion. The cover is off and thanks to all who have posted throughout the years about this problem. As soon as the cover was off a big chunk of the return spring fell out. Now to source a new one!

Thanks for the sources.  I phoned my local shop Valley Moto in Chilliwack and they have some in stock.  At $10 each I think I'll pick up a couple and keep a spare handy.  Is the Cannon spring better?

I am in the process of trying to remove the gear cover.  My bike got stuck in third gear and I can't get it into neutral, as its stuck in third.  I'm down to the gear cover, but it won't budge.  I removed the eleven bolts that hold the cover, and I've whacked the cover with a rubber mallet, but no luck.  Can this cover be removed if the bike is not in neutral?  Also, there are two bolts (I presume are adjusters of some sort) that are attached top the cover as well.  Do these come off?  And how about the acorn nut one; does this have to be removed to get the cover off?  I'm aware off the threads by belfastguzzi but the pictures don't come up on my computer. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you haven't disassembled the cover yet, take pictures and mark the wheels with grease or paint for correct orientation and alignment.Transmission and pre-selector should be in neutral position when re-assembling.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone see any reason to get the cover/arm/spring "kit" that Harpers sells? http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/gear-box-selector-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

It is item #32 on the parts break down list. I am wondering if there are any design improvements on the cover as well?

I am having problems getting into 3rd (but no other problems) and I was thinking of replacing the parts. Because my V11 is an early 2003 model year bike, I am thinking it should probably have this done.

I would get the Redline oil , change the fluid , do the kit and lube the shift shaft pivot bolt . Don't forget the nut on the inside is a jam nut . The frame is threaded too.

I would get the Redline oil , change the fluid , do the kit and lube the shift shaft pivot bolt . Don't forget the nut on the inside is a jam nut . The frame is threaded too.

Sounds good, thanks for the response. Just changed the gearbox oil 100 miles ago (page 8 of 16! http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18247&page=8) and I used the RedLine stuff, so I will either tilt the bike over far right, or drain and capture when it comes time to install the new parts. I am nearly certain that my 3rd gear shifting problems are related to these parts.

Chamberlin, your box will already have that updated setup.

I solved my shifting issues by finetuning the eccentric pin ( item 9) - basically pull the plate off, sit down with a couple of cups of coffee, run through the gears a few times, work out if the selector shaft is sitting too high or low, then adjust the eccentric pin possition. Drink coffee, repeat the process, then when you're absolutely sure it's in the right spot adjust the other eccentric screw that limits the ratchet ( item 24). Drink another cup of coffee, check again before reasembling. Haven't missed a gearchange since!!!