Veglia tach problem

Vincez

The tach on my beautiful 2001 V11 Sport seems to give up the ghost after 5500 rpm - it stops climbing about there and starts to hover, shifting brings it back to where it belongs and it is spot on under 5000. Anybody run into this problem and is there a fix (besides finding a new tach)

Thanks
Vincez

• Like 1

Not sure but off hand I would suggest you check your charging system. You may have a charging issue at higher rpms and the tach would be affected by voltage issues.

Other then that you may have a physical issue inside the tach but I have not run into that before.

My bike seems to consistently break tachos.

The first one packed up soon after I bought the bike, the second I bought from Dave (he of recent deer-mashing fame) and it packed up after about 2000 miles, the third was a rebuild by Stein Dinse of the first one and that packed up a month ago.

While the bike runs and I'm concentrating on staying in one piece in traffic around London I figure I can just live without it... although it would have been handy to identify the revs where I get rough running with the new Mistral X-over.

It would be nice to just have one keep working for more than a year.

As for physical issues, the counterweight can fall off and it reads max revs all the time or the spring can break meaning it reads nothing most of the time: both seem to have happened to me so far.

Andy

My tach jumps up and down and doesn´t go over 2 000 rpm since a few days.  On the Swedish forum www.guzziclub.nu

I got three advices; the ground cable from the battery, the relay Bosch 0 332 20 11 07 (isn´t fitted on my bike, mine are

0 332 207 310, 300 or 303) and I´m waiting for an explanaition about that, and finally, there´s a grounding point inside the

tachometer that might cause the problem.

Good luck!  

Hej! 

Mine died for no reason last month and I replaced the relays and fixed it.  Have no idea why but everything electronic on the left handle bar controls also stopped working another few weeks after the tach quit.  The relays fixed all of that and saved me a lot of time trouble shooting!

For those nearer Europe:

I remember reading from the German Forum, that in Germany there still is a person (hopefully not retired), who can repair the irreplaceable veglia tachs. This is the text from their web page: "the reason for the common brake-up of the tach is a small coil, on which the thin wire brakes becaue of the vibration. We can help with a new winding on the coil with silicone added on the critical points to prevent the problem from repeating"

info@casadimoto.de

http://www.hoekenschnieder.de/service.html (German)

Thats great Steve, I dissected the tacho today just to look for some lose ends (ground) but I coulnd´t find any.

The relay is my last guess so wich one did you change? Was it the first one in the front, closest to the battery?

Any number on it? (Might be the Bosch 0 332 201 107, on mine numbered 0 332 207 310).

Hej!

The tachometer gets its feed through the Headlight Relay (#2) second from the front. Fitting a new Bosch, or switching to OMRON, may solve the problem. Be certain the base connectors are tight.

Thank´s Docc, its the Bosch 0 0332 017 300 that´s second from the front.

I´ll purchase a new Bosch or Siemens tomorrow, Omron´s very rare in Europe.

For those nearer Europe:

I remember reading from the German Forum, that in Germany there still is a person (hopefully not retired), who can repair the irreplaceable veglia tachs. This is the text from their web page: "the reason for the common brake-up of the tach is a small coil, on which the thin wire brakes becaue of the vibration. We can help with a new winding on the coil with silicone added on the critical points to prevent the problem from repeating"

info@casadimoto.de

http://www.hoekenschnieder.de/service.html (German)

I believe Stein Dinse use casadimoto who fixed the one that most recently stopped working. I didn't know about the relay feed so will check that out as the way it failed at the time made me think 'loose connection' although nothing immediately presented itself as a candidate.

Andy

I didn't know about the relay

And isn't the lights relay (34) controlled by the starter relay (23) through its normally closed contact (lights out when you start). So if not the lights relay then the starter relay? But if the problem is here, also the lights (and the two red warning lights for oil pressure and generator) should be off ?

PS. The Guzzidiag -software has also a function "test rev counter".  It only makes it show a value for a certain time, but at least you can test the rev counter with it.

Camn, yes the Headlight Relay gets its current from the normally open position of the (middle) Starter Relay.

And, as you say, not just the tach, but headlight, horn, stop light, warning lights, and charging reference.

I wonder if the tach is the most sensitive to low or fluctuating voltage and may show a problem before the lights go out (?)

Gusse, the Bosch I have (from PyroDan Pruneske) are 0 332 207 307. I am not sure the difference between them but good if they are all 5 pin so they can be switched around if needed.

So, I finally got my new relays, ordered the lot and swithed them right outside the shop.

No progress with the tach, it still jumps from 0 to 2 000 revs. One thing left then, to find

a new tachometer :bbblll:. It´s a pity though, I found a suitable paint for the pointer so it looks

brand new.