final drive seep

silverback63

i recently purchased a 2001 v11 sport, 17500 miles in nice condition. 

really pleased with it, after a 20 year gap i had forgotten how much i

enjoy the long legged guzzi lope.

after a good 3 hour jaunt i noticed a little oil on the rear wheel

and subsequently the next day a tiny pool of pinkish fluid on the

rear wheel.   a small drop on the bottom of the rear drive housing

points towards some form of gasket / o ring failure. is this a common

fault and is it easy to rectify. i checked the  level and even with the bike

on the sidestand it was still slightly over full. stange colour fluid, almost

a pink colour and very viscous.

any advice ideas and recommended worshops. iam based on the suffolk/norfolk 

border just south of norwich.

cheers, steve.

Welcome to the v11 fold. Pink fluid is redline shockproof. It is highly recommended although I have not used it myself. Check that the breather is clear on the top of the drive, as if this gets blocked the oil will push past the seals. Just take it out and try and blow through it. If really blockedyou can pry the cap off and clear it through with a piece of wire.

Haywards near Cambridge have a pretty good reputation.

ah, ok i will try the breather trick and see how it goes. as it doesnt leak once cooled off and stationary 

that could well be the problem.  i,ve been reading the oil level posts, you have to love

a guzzi, so damn quirky !  i need to get myself a workshop manual and read up on a few things.

thanks for your advice will let you know how it pans out.

cheers

After fighting rear drive leaks for two years, I have grown unafraid to let my oil level down a little. The V11 Bevel drive has 100 ml more capacity than the earlier drives.

I can run,  but I can't hide: :blush:

I AM the bone fide authority on leaking rear drives. I have diligently sought out every known method to make one leak. You just can't argue with two years of successful leaking.

Andy, The P'ffesser His-Own-Self, will always be the last word on making The Bad Leak stop. :notworthy:

Check out the thread and update in Technical Topics "Rear Drive Seal"

I'm just glad all my worms are back in the can! :grin:

Lots of exhaust canisters out there to choose from. They all sound great and are a wonderful improvement over the heavy Lafranconi. My CF Mistral round, made for Guzzi, are ten pounds lighter than the stock. (Is that "one stone?")

Andy York's Gianellis with the (Mistral?) crossover is the best sounding V11 I've ever heard.  :food:  (Maybe it's the 100,000 miles he has on it!)

well the breather was clear and after a quick 60 mile jaunt to the coast on sunday morning it was still losing a small amount of the pink stuff. also a slight lurching at around 2500/3000 when it was hot. temp somewhat warmer this weeekend 25 deg and humid. i need the time to pull the plugs and check the valve clearances put in the new air filter too. its just finding the time.....

Steve, Where does the drip appear?

At the vent, at the front (shaft input), the right side at the axle, or at the bottom of the bell flange?

hi doc, its from the bottom of the bell flange. the lube is really heavy stuff iam told redline shock proof. its not a huge issue but iam getting a light hazing over the right side of the rear wheel after a ride and when after its cooled a 1cm diameter drop of the ludicously expensive pink stuff.