Blowing Turn Signal Fuses,possible causes places to look?

mznyc

Ive blown a couple turn signal fuses over the last several years and two in the last couple months.

What would cause this,and where/how to trouble shoot the circuit.Everything else works normally.

Thanks

Michael

Possibly a wire chafed through where it enters a light or passes through a fender, does it always fuse on one side?

Does it fuse while they are operating or do you find they don't work  when you go to use them?

Lastly which bike are you referring to?

It's pretty hard to find an intermittent fault sometimes especially when it's short blowing fuses.

This is an old electricians trick

Replace the fuse with a high Wattage lamp (headlight bulb). The lamp when cold will supply enough current to work the flashers. 

As you wiggle the wires around and create a short it will light up and you will quickly zero in on the fault with no risk of letting out the magic smoke.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions Roy.

02 Scura (It is visible to others in my profile,yes?)

Dont know if it blows when pressing button or just riding down the road,just go to use it and it's not there.

Could I use your light bulb tester in lieu of a HL lamp?

Thanks

Check the steering head and lock stops don't interfere with the front indicator wires. This same thing happened to me last year. I had the fuse blow after I had put in my bike for the annual MOT at the local MG dealer. It passed the MOT but they reported that it had blown a fuse for the turn signals and they had replaced the fuse before handing it back to me. Top marks for customer service, I don't think (why not look into the cause rather than replace the fuse...?)

The fuse blew again on me on the way home and after a load of head scratching investigation it seems they had put the bike steering lock on (which I never do) to secure the bike after the MOT inspection: this pinched the pair of right front indicator cables between the lock stops just enough to short them together but not enough to sever them.

I still think they shifted something while the bike was in their care but can't prove anything. Anyway could be worth checking out. It was an easy fault to miss.

Thanks for the suggestions Roy.

02 Scura (It is visible to others in my profile,yes?)

Dont know if it blows when pressing button or just riding down the road,just go to use it and it's not there.

Could I use your light bulb tester in lieu of a HL lamp?

Thanks

The reason I say HL is so it passes most of the Voltage on to the flasher circuit, you could try using a smaller lamp if you take the indicator bulbs out.

Just borrow the lamp out of your headlight and use a couple of jumper wires.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,I'll take a look see in a couple days when I get home and report back.

The fuse blew again on me on the way home and after a load of head scratching investigation it seems they had put the bike steering lock on (which I never do) to secure the bike after the MOT inspection: this pinched the pair of right front indicator cables between the lock stops just enough to short them together but not enough to sever them.

Same cause, same effect: front left indicator wire was pinched under left steering stop when bike was on stand, halft-cutting and shorting the two wires. As the wire were damaged in their protective insulation, It was not apparent without close inspection.

Using tie-wrap to displace wires prevent this to happen again.

• 1 month later...

Ok I found the problem.A chafed wire at the bullet connector under the chin fairing going to the front signal stem.I occasionally get caught in a shower and wash the bike with a hose so I would like to upgrade these connectors as they're exposed to the elements.Any suggestion electrical experts,for a solid waterproof connector?

Thanks

Michael

It would be nice Docc if I could be able to disconnect it for maintenance,repairs,etc.that's why I was looking for a quick disconnect,just want the best,most reliable ones people have some experience with.

Ok I found the problem.A chafed wire at the bullet connector under the chin fairing going to the front signal stem.I occasionally get caught in a shower and wash the bike with a hose so I would like to upgrade these connectors as they're exposed to the elements.Any suggestion electrical experts,for a solid waterproof connector?

Thanks

Michael

The GM Metri-pac or Weather-pac is the only way to go for what you want.

These things are waterproof !