Ghezzi Brian oil cooler drain?

77gears

Hello all,

I am new here. Working on a Ghezzi Brian SuperTwin. I would like to

know if there is a technique to drain the oil cooler when changing the oil

It is mounted high up and the feed/return lines are at the top of the cooler.

It is a dry sump and the tank will drain via gravity but the cooler won't. I was

thinking that I could hang the entire bike upside down from a tree and shake it? Is that wrong?

Many thanks for advise

You could use compressed ( 10 psi) to blow the oil out of the cooler . Disconnect both lines at the oil pan and hold one line into an oil bottle &  blow air into the other line til it is clear .

Thanks for the replies. Not concerned except that it is a special bike that deserves my best care.

Is it typical to leave a little oil in the cooler? If so, no problem. It just seemed strange that there is no drain for it.

The air idea would work too.

Do most race type guzzis have coolers like this? Do you drain them ?

I know it is a lot of questions but I really appreciate your input.

Thank you!!

All of the spine frame bikes have coolers from the Daytona, Sport 1100, Centauro, and the V11 series. I've never heard of anyone draining one unless there was concern that some kind of debris might have gotten in it from engine damage.

As long as you are changing the oil regularly, there will be no problem with the small volume of oil that remains in the engine. I think it will make it more reliable on start-up after the oil change.

More important: make sure the oil filter is absolutely tight!

Yes it is the 1064 engine though factory modified slightly, balanced,etc but the same.

The oil tank is a small aluminum box mounted on the right side of the frame, high up tucked under the fuel tank. Upper hose goes to frame and lower hose to the front cover.

Please bear with me as this is the first MG I have worked on and like all euro bikes they have their quirks. I have looked for these answers but some are illusive.

1) When refilling the sump with fresh oil...do you add any to the oil tank?

2) is it true that you check the oil level with the dipstick screwed all of the way in? P.S. I wish all of the bike manufacturers would just agree if it needs to be seated or screwed in!!

3) Like many dry sump bikes that have been sitting for a long time, the oil tank is empty. Plenty in the crankcase. Should I add oil to the tank before running it? I want it warm to change the oil.

4) On that same subject, if you only fill the crankcase on oil change, how does the tank find its level? Does it just fill itself ? There are no marks on the tank at all. How full does it want to be?

5) Don't want to open a can of worms but I hear horror stories about oil filters coming loose. Some say to use the hose clamp concept, what do you think? P.S. If this is such an issue and could ruin a fancy, expensive motor... Why has nobody made a filter with a safety wire hole in it? Every critical fastener on race bikes are safety wired... Makes 'em safe! And you don't have to worry about them!!

As I have said , there is very little literature on this bike so I just want to be thorough. It is a flawless bike with very low miles and I want to take care of it with kidd gloves.

Thank you very much!

On all dry sump systems , some oil is in the bottom of the engine w/the remainder in the oil tank . For your satisfaction , some members on this site will advise you or you can contact G/B for the proper procedure .

+1 on contacting G/B. There are members here with G/B experience, so maybe they can help. I could not find anything on the tank. Do you have any links or photos?

The Guzzi manual says to check the oil with the stick "screwed up." That could mean other things, but let's say "all the way in." Also important not to let the oil level get low. Not even halfway down. The pick-up is forward in the sump and can go dry in hard acceleration and low oil level.

Many swear by the clamp. No matter what, use a quality filter and be certain it is fully tightened. The old "hand tight' method for car engines will not do! One of the members did some extensive testing and measuring and concluded the filter should turn 1 and 1/8 revolutions after the gasket makes contact.

YMMV!

I may be missing something here but from the description this isnt a dry sump setup. I would imagine the aluminium box to which you refer is a breather box.If there is oil on the end of a dipstick in the engine sump its still the standard wet set up.

Draining the oil cooler is counter productive and just introduces air into the system on oil changes.

The small amount left in the cooler is of no consequence and would be less than the total leftover oil that hides in the engine and doesnt drain during a normal oil change.

Ciao

Good point there, L-Phil!  My true dry sump bike has the dipstick in the tank. I'm thinking the Ghezzi-Brian is a normal Moto Guzzi wet sump . . .

Somebody here knows! :huh2:

I'm trying to gather up this:

"Upper hose goes to frame and lower hose to the front cover."

Could you share more about those two attachment points?  I'm leaning with L'y-Phil here that it is a breather box and not an oiltank.

Good news: you can just check the oil level like the rest of us! (Wet sump, stick all the way in).