tank bag

rossi46

Greetings, I'm after a tank bag for long days out, dreaming of spring already! I've just received a sw motec bags connection day bag, Its going straight back tomorrow, I did'nt like the fitting system and the quality of the bag wasn't very good. In the past I have had a baglux, very good, but don't want to cover my lovely tanks! so anyone got a kriega or givi type bag? cheers and Happy Christmas :)  

Know what you mean Rossi, I have a Baglux cover and a couple of different types of their tank bags. They're great but the tank cover can never be very pretty on the V11. The cover is reasonably easy too fit and remove but not a really quick job.

I often go to work by bike, either to the office or to customer site and the Baglux Tech City bag is the best portable office I've ever had and will fit a fairly sizeable laptop or an Airbook. I'm on my second simply because the old one was looking a bit dirty rather than worn out, so the bags are really good quality, no question.

Problem is the cover is so ugly I end up bungeeing the bag on the pillion seat. I'd use the cover for touring with my other somewhat smaller touring bag as the bigger bags interfere with my bars on full lock (I have the flat bars rather than clip ons)

I've used several different tank bags on the Sport over the years. It has never been without one. They were always ugly.

Last year I took it off and just use the Teknos. I certainly like the look better and it has not been much less convenient. I'm not saying I wouldn't go back in the right travel circumstance.

Doing with out the panniers would be really tough though.

What about a Bagster with a harness rather than cover?

For touring, I use a Bagster cover and bag, but only put the cover on for the tour. In all honesty for days, I just use a back pack, but I do also have a Hein Gerricke similar to this one (straps rather than magnetic obviously) with a GPS bag for the sat nav/phone.

thanks guys am tempted by this

http://www.baglux.co.uk/product/?cat=52&id=3596

That's a definite candidate and not too pricey for an experiment. The main question is whether it'll do the job without flopping one side or t'other: a thing I've had with universal tank bag covers like this in the past. I suspect it'll be fine on some bikes and useless on others depending on the shape of the tank. The V11 'chin pad' on the earlier tanks won't help in this regard.

Here you go Andy. Complete with sat nav bag too.

Ok that looks pretty good and I'm guessing it's stable if yr recommending it. The Sat Nav bag is a Hein Gericke item designed to fit it then?

BTW Trevini, do you put one strap of the throw-over panniers under the seat as the makers intend? The reason I ask is that that was the source of a whole load of weird electrical problems as that under strap messed with relay and fuse banks. I've abandoned the use of that style of throw-over for that reason and use the all-in-one cargo pack style of luggage instead now (I'll grant you not much use if you have a pillion though)

Hello UK chaps, I have a new Ventura fitting kit that was special order from NZ and I never used it because the Nero came with another one,

with grab rail cost about £150, yours for £100 but then you need the rack which is available easy.

I have an RKA bag with 3 point strap attachment -- 2 at the front and one at the rear -- which I find is perfect for the V11.

It has a large detachable map pocket, is available in several sizes, is expandable, has a zippered pocket at the rear which is very handy for small items like a cell phone you want to get at quickly, can be made in a huge range of colors for a nominal up-charge, and does not require a tank cover, so the MG logo is always visible. Also, minor point perhaps, but their logo is sewn on the side of the bag and is easily removed with a little care so there's no detraction from the MG logo.

I like it so much I have one on my Ducati too. You might want to check it out.

I don't use those panniers any more. I have a 52 litre Jofama tailpack/pannier combo that fits perfectly on the V11. Really stable too. Had it up to 220kmh on a German autobahn without any worries. The sat nav bag is dedicated to the tank bag. Rear mount is Velcro, so really easy to fill up and re tension if necessary.