Cool machine, just reading about it in Mick Walkers book. No name just Guzzi inline 500 four. Pg 82 goes into fuel injection process for that bike in depth.

Funny the model looked like a V8 chev in the one shot. You're right about the glasses

Cool machine, just reading about it in Mick Walkers book. No name just Guzzi inline 500 four. Pg 82 goes into fuel injection process for that bike in depth.

Funny the model looked like a V8 chev in the one shot. You're right about the glasses

awesome aye, 52 it had a single carb, then they tried injection but it wasnt so great so like the V8 they went one carb per pot, it did take a 1st or two but handling due to the crank, fly drive shaft caused it to do weird shit, much like the V7-V11, note the pigie back electrics etc on the gear box to keep the length down, also with the dust pan fairing which is the kit I am building the fuel tank was in the side panels of the fairing... cool aye

Its always a lesson when you look back and see that the 'new" was actually tried decades ago. Imagine working in that factory in the 50's, nothing was impossible!

Walker claims that 4 cylinder mill was drawn up by an engineer in Rome. My father in law raced for BSA in those days and he would lament the straightaway as the wop multis left them standing (corners was where he made time- they had to) but it was evident the power was in more than 1 cylinder.

Imagine the throw racing a longitudinal 4. I wonder how the triple giant longitudinal  Triumph copes with that- maybe the bulk of the machine hides it. I found it interesting when the current manufactures went reverse rotation with the transverse 4 to counteract the effect of rotational mass and the traction implications on the power stroke, that to me is what those boys in Mandello were doing all along. Hats off.

• 3 months later...

Is that not Imme that used the exhaust pipe as swingarm?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you folks.  Somehow, I turned off email responses. 

Yep, that;s the famous Imme R100. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imme_R100

"The Imme R100 was a lightweight motorcycle made by Riedel AG from 1948 to 1951. It is noted for its simple and innovative design with many advanced features. With low cost and technical innovation, the R100 sold well, but reliability problems and low profit margins resulted in warranty costs driving Riedel AG into bankruptcy."