Aftermarket rear brake rotor options?

sp838

A pound off this using exotic materials, a pound off that drilling lots of holes, but I always say:

'eat less pies and drink less beer if you want to go faster'.

No one seems to take any notice though. Can't work out why...?

A pound off this using exotic materials, a pound off that drilling lots of holes, but I always say:

'eat less pies and drink less beer if you want to go faster'.

No one seems to take any notice though. Can't work out why...?

For anyone truly trying to go faster you would be at least partially correct. But serious racers who are trying to go faster already don't eat much, if any, pie. No one here is likely in that category, although once upon a time I was. But that was some 50 lbs ago. And much pie.

Sometimes people want to make their motorcycle better than it was when it rolled out of the factory. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I do not think that everyone should do that but I do not understand why some people who choose not to do that feel compelled to express their opinions and mindset to those that do. I hate red motorcycles but I do not say anything negative to those with red motorcycles. Even in jest.....

No offence intended. My apologies if some was taken.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the same programme of incremental improvement of my bike, perhaps more half-heartedly, I'll confess. And I'm not pie-shy either.

Just commenting on the juxtaposition of some apparently contradictory human behaviours to which people, myself included, can be prone. Evidently off the mark. Sorry.

No need to apologize to me! I can take some ribbing, it's not gonna change my approach whether it's in good fun or in sincere disdain. Only thing that can change my mind on any given topic is a well argued safety and/or technical concern. But yeah, I do want my Guzzi to be the best it can be, and that means doggedly improving every aspect of it, as much as I can within reason. I don't intend to "race" it, but I do intend to take it to the track a few times a year, so it's not just for aesthetics, I do want to improve it for the sake of performance as well. So far, I can say that I notice a huge difference. The battery I am using weighs ten pounds less. The exhaust I installed weighs a good 20+ pounds less. The new front end as well is much lighter than stock. I can feel the difference just pushing the bike around the garage, let alone riding it. Much easier to shave 40-50 pounds off the Guzzi than it is off myself, that's for sure, hehe...

That said, GuzziMoto, I appreciate your coming to the defense of all of us obsessive upgraders!

I was not trying to insult or other wise beat on AndyH or anyone else. Apologies from me as well. I was simply pointing out how I find it funny that people who do not feel the need to do something to their bikes often feel the need to mock or otherwise question those who do. The worst offender in that catagory was HatchetWacker. I am not saying Andy, or anyone else is anywhere near as bad as RH, just commenting on the behavior. Also, as I mentioned, I do like pie as well. When I was racing seriously I did not allow myself to eat pie. Nor did I drink beer during the racing season (still drank it in the off-season, I am not completely crazy). I do not race seriously any more so I do eat pie(s).

Talking of incremental improvement, I suffered the opposite today when someone knocked the bike over at work smashing the right side lever, bar end weight and grinding the head guard. They didn't fess up and we're hoping the CCTV footage will do that for them.

Someone's karma ran over my dogma for posting stuff about pies!

Got me more interested in a new rotor to reverse the trend now

See, if your bike was lighter it would not have fell so hard and may not have broken as much.

Sorry to hear.

I am only partially joking about the weight vs. falling thing. I can remember racing two strokes, both roadrace and dirt, and when you crashed them they did less damage to themselves because they had less inertia. My four stroke dirt bike would always bend the handle bars when I wrecked it seemed. My two stroke 440 still has the original stock bars.

• Like 1

My machinist friend and overall Motorcycle Guru has offered to hollow out my rear axle and shave as much off the rear caliper bracket as possible. He is even more obsessed than I am! I haven't opened up the wheel innards, that's a can of worms that can wait until next season, but if I recall correctly, I've seen pictures of drilled out coupling discs...

This isn't becoming one of those things like Lotus' Colin Chapman was accused of: taking out parts (to "add lightness") until something collapsed and putting the last part back in?

See, if your bike was lighter it would not have fell so hard and may not have broken as much.

Sorry to hear.

I am only partially joking about the weight vs. falling thing. I can remember racing two strokes, both roadrace and dirt, and when you crashed them they did less damage to themselves because they had less inertia. My four stroke dirt bike would always bend the handle bars when I wrecked it seemed. My two stroke 440 still has the original stock bars.

I've got straight bars, not clip ons and somehow they weren't bent at all. I saw the CCTV footage today and the UPS man (for such he was) picked the bike up like it was a mountain bike!

I won't be arguing with him if we meet.

Too true, some mass not only gives us confidence but it does tend to stabilize easier. Moto is right though ya cant be eatin pie (unless it comes in a vee). If we didn't have testicles then we would just accept things as they are. More power to modifying your ride, it makes it yours even if in reality it is no quicker. Ultimately its not the point.

don't worry docc, I have lots of zip ties, jb weld and duct tape on hand, nothing is gonna collapse.