Fabricating a 2-1 exhaust

Bjorn

I like abbreviations, PC stands for Power Commander right? what does PCV A/T mean :nerd: 

Power commander variable ...auto tune..??

However I get the whole idea of this system. It sounds great! Is this plug and play system or do you need to be a electrical wizard?

The funny thing was I believe it was Weber/Marelli FI. Clearly they know how to make it work, why can't they make the one on my Guzzi work that well?

I think its simply a matter of cost/price. Moto Guzzi doesnt develop FI systems themselves, they buy it. I our case from weber/marelli. I bet they strive to meet a certain BOM (bill of material) price of the bike. If the retail value of the bike does not increase (customers are not willing to pay extra for this kind of FI) then they wont use it.

PCV is Power Commander 5, the current (I think) version of the Power Commander.

PCV A/T is Power Commander 5 with their AutoTune module added.

I agree about FI, Guzzi is not doing it themselves, they are subbing it out. But so did Buell, to the same people. And the Buell was less $$$ then a Guzzi.

But the main point of that is that it could be done better. I ended up paying money after the sale to make my Griso work better, but my Buell came that way from the factory using a system from the same supplier as the lower grade version my Griso came with. And, mind you, me Buell was from 1999 and my Griso is an '07. You would think the newer one would be MORE advanced, not less.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I visited the dyno :) Had a great day, learned a lot more about FI systems. The guy from the shop really knows his stuff and talked me through the entire session. Here some pics for now, the rest of the pictures, videos and details comes later.

My giant car :rolleyes:

20140430_145422.jpg

20140430_111840.jpg

20140430_112937.jpg

VIdeos :D

Short run:

long run:

The goal of the session was to fine tune the fuel injection. The old setting was too rich, but not that bad. After making fuel and ignition adjustments and 5 test runs later, the bike runs great. Its smoother and reacts better to the throttle. Fuel consumption should also go down a bit, but I cannot confirm this yet. The ''typical'' 3500-4000 dip is evident, but I accept it. I dont find it annoying and definitely not worth my time and money trying to eliminate it right now (maybe in the future :whistle: ) .

So to make this topic complete; The new exhaust did great, looks great,sounds cool and did not reduce the ''drive-ability''. I cant compare the results with the stock/original exhaust. However after the dyno session, im up around 2 HP and overall a happy camper :D. Ill post the dyno graph tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Pretty fantastic considering the bike is only supposed to put out ~80hp at the rear wheel. You haven't done any performance mods to the engine?

The actual numbers are not really important. Different dyno's, different operator's, different day's, different number's. My wife's V11 also managed to pull around 85 hp at the rear wheel. I don't really think that is that big a deal, but it is nice to see.

The shape of the curves, both hp and torque, is the main thing. That dip he has in the 3500 - 4000 range, the more he can fill that in the better.

Mixture wise there was not a whole lot he could do to reduce the dip at this moment. ''Bringing the collector closer to the exhaust ports (like 50-60cm) and making two individual maps for both cylinders could reduce it a bit''  was one of his ideas. But this brings new fabrication issues like the actual placement of the collector. You would need headers with a very tiny radius and locate the collector next or under the engine block. Under the sump doesnt seem practical for a streetbike due to the ground clearance. Locating it next to the engine asks for equal length headers and a relocation of the oil cooler. 

Dont get me wrong, i like challenges however it takes lots of time to do it right. Time i would (now) rather spend on the road :race:

Time i would (now) rather spend on the road :race:

Haha - there was some talk of your Guzzi work at our local riders' spot over coffee and breakfast:

"What do you think Bjorn will take all to pieces next?" ;)

"Maybe he and his brother will make a new frame!" :luigi:

"He could turn it into a Ghezzi-Brian. Those Dutch do things like that." :cheese:

Glad to hear you are riding now!! :thumbsup:

Time i would (now) rather spend on the road :race:

Haha - there was some talk of your Guzzi work at our local riders' spot over coffee and breakfast:

"What do you think Bjorn will take all to pieces next?" ;)

"Maybe he and his brother will make a new frame!" :luigi:

"He could turn it into a Ghezzi-Brian. Those Dutch do things like that." :cheese:

Glad to hear you are riding now!! :thumbsup:

Lol thanks :) I like building stuff. There are always things left on 'the list' haha. But for now i want to make some miles.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently red somewhere ''Moto Guzzi; turning motorcycle riders into mechanics since 1921''  I found it funny and also true. I learned lots of new things from replacing bearings to the fundamentals of FI, all thanks to the Guzzi. It was a relationship with love and hate. But now i have made the decision to spend more time riding bikes an a bit less wrenching. Unfortunately the Guzzi has to go....

Before Im selling the bike, I wanted to know if anybody is interested in the complete exhaust. I feel that most people here on the forum are really passionate about their bikes. So before I sell the bike with exhaust to some random buyer who maybe doesn't even notice the exhaust, i wanted to post it here. I know this is not the ''classified'' forum but since the origin and building took place over here I thought; why not. (Mods feel free to tell me this is not allowed :angry:  :lol: )

Basically its plug and play for a least the latest type of V11. You can use the stock headers, and i'll supply the exhaust+muffler and both the mounting brackets which fit every bike without any fabrication. Below 2 (older) pictures. the rest you can find in this topic.

20140330_183210.jpg

20140405_154711.jpg

*still with the proto bracket at the rear*

-Bjorn

"i have made the decision to spend more time riding bikes an a bit less wrenching"

so why don't you just ride the Guzzi?

I like Guzzi's BECAUSE I get to spend more time riding and less time wrenching. They are some of the easiest bikes to keep running.

Sorry your Guzzi does not float your boat. They are not for everybody.

• Like 1