Just wanted to share my recent success story. I have a 2003 V11 with Giannelli exhaust and K&N pods. The bike suffered from the proverbial "cough" at low RPM's. Nothing of consequence, just annoying (and apparently common).  I knew there were some horse power being left on the table w/o the power commander (or alternative).  So, I bit the bullet and installed one (PCIII USB).

WOW!

It's night and day.  I love it!

No cough.  More power.

I used the stock map from the Powercommander website: 706-502 "European model, Giannelli slip-on's, and stock or aftermarket airfilter"

Seemed like a good place to start, coonsidering... Looks like it was close to perfect.

I still have some testing to do (and I have not used a dyno), but I am very happy with the initial results.

• Like 1

Mine came w/the PC .. I really messed up my bike when I first got it . I tried to adjust everything and got it way out... I wanted to burn the bike and toss it off the bluff @ Columbus Park ....

After adjusting it properly everything was perfect. 

I do not see how someone could possibly ride this in stock form w/o the PC ?

Although I don't post much here, I still monitor this feed.  I must agree, when you get the PC correct, it's just amazing.   

This link is to my bike: http://www.baronaudio.com/lemans/ and the Dyno run posted is BEFORE I fixed an issue with the throttle body.  

I had to redo the maps "manually" as there isn't a Dyno center locally available, but I can say it's stronger now than it was before getting fixed.

I don't want to side-track, but I wonder how many people with the "low end cough" that have a PC or not, have the same problem I had?  At least for me the throttle bodies weren't completely closing when they were supposed too which essentially makes any stock map "a little off" and any custom tuning less than precise.   There was a little burr somewhere, and I say that because I never actually found it.  I was just examining the throttle body closely on the bike, with the cables off, I gently pushed on the linkage and there was a "click" and the body closed further.  That "click" appearently was the removal of whatever was blocking the mechanism from closing all the way.  Magically the TPS was now able to read exactly in the range it was supposed to be and I felt an improvement.   Of course I had to go with a downloaded map at this point because the one referenced on the above page was useless.  Bike wouldn't even start with that one, but I immediately felt a difference in the low end with the map I downloaded.  So I just adjusted from there by putting markings on the throttle at each % and noting each rpm range and using a big parking lot...  wash-rinse repeat until I was done.  

Anyway... congrats... there's nothing like a lemans that's in tune.   

My bike came completely stock and ran great when I received it.When I discovered a cracked TB boot and tried to " fix"it ,I totaled screwed up it's fueling.Once I got the proper FI tuning procedure down ,the bike runs perfect again.Still have a Mistral X-over and PC 111 waiting to install,but if tuned properly these bikes should run just fine in stock form.

My bike came completely stock and ran great when I received it.When I discovered a cracked TB boot and tried to " fix"it ,I totaled screwed up it's fueling.Once I got the proper FI tuning procedure down ,the bike runs perfect again.Still have a Mistral X-over and PC 111 waiting to install,but if tuned properly these bikes should run just fine in stock form.

I totally agree that they run great stock... but as soon as you start swapping things like the Crossover and Exhaust and change the Air filter, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.  In fact just changing the air filter is enough to change the air/fuel mixture.    Now, as each bike is a little different, and there are other factors such as humidity and temperature involved, some folks can make minor changes and it still "runs" ok... but are they really getting anything out of the change? that's another story.   I have ridden a stock V-11 and owned a Bellagio for a little bit.    They ran fine, but I wanted a little more from the Bellagio and my research led me to FBF Pipes and Stucci crossover with a K&N AirBox.  As luck would have it, a friend of mine (who may be reading this) had done this exact setup to his LeMans and for some reason was selling it to get a Duc so I jumped right on it...   All I had to do was tune it.  :)   I have a feeling the previous owner never realized the potential of the bike as the throttle body issue I mentioned above was there from day one.  But it's a whole different bike with the changes, especially on the low end.. an obvious amount of torque.    

Nothing wrong with a stock setup... and I agree, if a stock one is tuned properly, there should be no issues.

My bike ran just fine when in stock trim but the cough showed up occasionally. Raceco clearances did a lot to get rid of that. The PCIII installation with each side individually tuned has subsequently transformed the bike and made it silky smooth.

When the cough came back recently, quick attention to the tappets showed that the exhaust clearances had tightened up and resetting them fixed it and it's back to how it should be.

So I'd say the PCIII is not a cure for everything but does make a good thing much better (in the right hands).

I'd also hazard a guess that since no two Guzzis are the same, using one of the 'standard' maps available, even matched perfectly to the induction and exhaust components in use might prove a rather underwhelming experience.

Mine coughs with the PCIII and it triples the insurance premium. Thinking of taking it off........

Wait, what? TRIPLE? What's that all about?

My dealer set the CO on my 2001 V11S last year from 2.0ppm to 4.0 ppm, and that eliminated the cough and sputter at 3K RPM. It also runs much richer from idle to 3K, so I'll probably set the CO to 3ppm and see how that goes.

I also have the PCIII, and have since added the LCD-200 to it, and I also have an AEM AFR meter. PC also makes an AFR that integrates with the LCD screen. It's about $500, but you can record your AFR readings and create your own maps for the PCIII and send them to the PCIII in a matter of seconds. It's a little more expensive than having a custom map made, but it sure is fun making and tweaking them. 

Ken