V11 Buying Tips for a Noob?

jwh20

I'm a long-time motorcyclist and am looking to add a Moto Guzzi to my collection.  I've always been fascinated with Guzzi's and have found one not too far away that looks promising.  It's an '02 V11 Le Mans with about 22K miles.  Current owner says that the "return spring issue" was resolved using a procedure that was documented in a couple of user groups.  I've done a bit of research on this issue and it looks like this fix might (or might not) fix the root issue.  Anyway, I'm at home tackling just about any mechanical issue that might come up although 100% of my motorcycle experience is with Japanese bikes.

So I'm looking for any tips to help evaluate the V11 for a potential buy.  Thanks in advance for any help and I'm hoping to join the ranks of V11 owners soon.

I have carried the spring and directions to fix under my seat for 26,000+ miles in my 2002 Lemans..  maybe because I'm prepared but I like to think my bike is outside the list of those that seem to fail...

you should get it!

I say as I'm about to let mine go..life changes, my pup Pink can't ride pillion.

IMG_2460_zpsdda67709.jpg

Simple enough to see that the speedometer and tachometer are working reliably and the trip odometer can still be reset. A bad instrument may not be a deal killer, but it should figure in the price.

The biggest nuisance of the 2002 was probably the bubbly/fuzzy/flaking black paint on the engine, gearbox, and rear drive. Some of these have been addressed in various ways. And it may not be troubling to you, but it is a 2002 issue to look for.

Charging and electrical issues can require some attention, so checking voltages key on/at idle/ and at RPM can give you an idea if the charging system is healthy.

As posted, the only deal killer would be that you ride it and she doesn't speak to you. Otherwise, anything that comes up is do-able! :luigi:

As posted, the only deal killer would be that you ride it and she doesn't speak to you. Otherwise, anything that comes up is do-able!

These bikes have been speaking to me for years!  So I've really hoping she'll like me.  We're meeting for the first time this afternoon.  Should I take a gift?  ;-)

on my 02, the bubbling paint is only on the block, tranny got the good paint. My rear drive has flaked slightly but I don't think it's the same paint as the block.

Yes, bring a gift!  Cuban cigars? Bourbon, gas card?

These bikes have been speaking to me for years!  So I've really hoping she'll like me.  We're meeting for the first time this afternoon.  Should I take a gift?  ;-)

post a photo, or it didnt happen

Now If you havent riden one before ya gona wonder WTF... so take a long ride even then that wont be enough, I climed of a CX500 Turbo onto my 1st Guzzi, took 20,000k to "get it"

Just an update.  I did see the bike and overall the condition as better than I expected for a 12 year old.  The usual and a couple of cracks here and there and the black peeling off the rear drive housing,  but nothing that was a deal-breaker.  Everything is there, everything I tried worked and the engine started right up and purred like I expect a V-twin.  Overall it looked great in my opinion.

At the current owners insistence I took her for a ride and it was sweet indeed!  I'm smitten!  The owner bought her new in 2001 and has "upgraded" to a new Triumph Thruxton.  He said getting rid of this was the condition for getting the Triumph.  I can relate.  We had already agreed on price and I had a pocket full of cash.

Ok, the issue.  Years ago I bought a used car from a private seller where the VIN on the title didn't match the one on the VIN plate.  Here in Indiana, when you try to title an out-of-state vehicle (this one is from over-the-border in Ohio) the VIN # is about the only thing they care about.  Well that and the purchase price so they can collect sales tax.  But it's a real hassle to get it straightened out as a buyer.  So the VIN number on the Le Mans has two numbers transposed from what is on the title.  It's clear the BMV made the error as the original paperwork from the dealer has the correct VIN.

Anyway, the current owner seems like a great guy.  We talked for over an hour about bikes and Moto Guzzi's and life in general. He's going to get the title fixed and the deal should go down.

lemans.jpg

It's a stunner! Looks bone-stock. Good for you ! !  :thumbsup:

Best I can tell the only add-on is the cylinder head guards.  It has 18K miles and has all the regular maintenance records.  I give it a 8 out of 10.  Not museum grade but something I would be comfortable as a daily rider.  But that's what I'm looking for anyway.

I never did understand there idea on the V11 LeMans paint job, eg: the seat cowl being a different colour to the tail? even the rosso corsa has a red fairing but the wee scoops on them grey... reason the nero got my attention is its colour matched... farking Guzzi