V11 Buying Tips for a Noob?

jwh20

Looks like I read this too late... 

Having come from almost 20 Japanese bikes I too had the V11 itch that needed to be scratched.  I dove in 2 weeks ago, purchased a Ballabio and promptly rode it 1000km home from Auckland to Christchurch in New Zealand.  At 0 to 100km mark my thoughts were what have I done, what is this weird thing I've brought.  However even with legs still sore from lack of use and a 1000km ride... the very next day after reaching home I was on the bike again :) 

My two cents would have been go for it, but now that you have good on ya, glad you did.

Looks like I read this too late... 

No, not too late at all.  Thanks for the input.  It's not a done-deal but hopefully will be.  I guess we're still "courting" at this point.

Someone else posted an opinion on the Le Mans color scheme.  That's certainly one of those "eye of the beholder" things.  I really like the look with the red and grey.  I'm a male and so like most, I am unable to create color combinations like this that work, but I am able to appreciate something that I like and I do like this combo.

To each his own...

Today was a much better day than Tuesday.  I made another trip to Ohio and this time came home with a LeMans.  Yes, I've uploaded some pictures below.  I see a few issues that I'll need to take care of but I do have one concern.  Is it typical for the clutch to make a noise when you pull in the lever?  I've never had a dry-clutch motorcycle and am not sure if this might be signs of a throwout bearing problem or if it's just part of the normal Guzzi noise.  

Other than that and a few scapes and chips and a few cracked rubber hoses and parts, which is not surprising for a 12 year old bike, she rides great.  After unloading we went for a short 25 mile ride and I have to admin, these things ride as good as they look.

20140425_180042.jpg

20140425_190202.jpg

20140425_190227.jpg

20140425_190253.jpg

20140425_190213.jpg

a beauty for sure, love those two-tone paint schemes. yeah, your clutch sounds pretty normal. noisy, but fairly bullet-proof.

my rubber parts were getting cracked also, i've just replaced the throttle body boots, all the fuel lines & the breather tube, filters, etc. etc. etc.

i did find the tank R&I a PIA, but i guess if ownership was simple, everybody would be riding one. they should be so lucky....

good choice,have fun  

stefano,

Thanks!  It's not a perfect specimen for sure but is really nice.  It was a daily rider which is my intent as well.  No point in spending the $$$ for a museum piece only to worry about a scratch or chip every time you hit a patch of gravel - like my driveway!!

I know even a totally messed up wet-clutch is virtually silent so I wasn't sure what to think.  It doesn't sound like anything is grinding but there is a distinct difference between in and out.  But I can only hear it when I have my helmet off.

Do you know a good USA source for parts?  There is not a Moto Guzzi dealer in Indiana any longer.   :(

My guess is that most of the rubber parts, especially those near enough to the engine to get hot are needing replaced.  It's work but I'm sure a labor of love.

Yes, the clutch rattle?  "They all do that, Sir" :whistle:

Single plate and twin plate clutches rattle the opposite way to each other: one when pulled in, the other when released - I never remember which :homer:

Don't worry about it.

Check out  http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/

and this guy is a V11 owner and lives around Indianapolis

Chuck in Indiana

Just checking in. Welcome to being as LeMans keeper.  :grin:

At 0 to 100km mark my thoughts were what have I done, what is this weird thing I've brought. 

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that one.  :oldgit: I was the same way. Once I "got it" I've never looked back. I'm near Elwood, btw.. we need to get together and swap lies.. Oh, not to worry about the clutch noise. Guzzis make all kinds of noises, none of them fatal except Roper's "Dogga Dogga" noise.. :whistle:

Hi Chuck!  Good to meet you here as well!

I have indeed noted that my LeMans makes all kinds of noises and that's a lot different from what I'm used to with Japanese bikes.  Generally when something is noisy there it's a BIG problem!  Just trying to sort out all the new input stimulus but loving it already!

Congrats,love that paint scheme.

Now for the check list.

Change all fluids if not confirmed to be done recently.Engine,trans,diff,brakes,clutch,forks.

Air filter

Check valves

Balance TB's and TPS

Check wheel bearing and grease,known to be under-greased from factory

Then on to the mods,....

Congrats,love that paint scheme.

Now for the check list.

Change all fluids if not confirmed to be done recently.Engine,trans,diff,brakes,clutch,forks.

Air filter

Check valves

Balance TB's and TPS

Check wheel bearing and grease,known to be under-greased from factory

Then on to the mods,....

Thanks!  Working on most of that already.  The PO was up front and told me that ALL the fluids were in need of changing.  But either way I'd probably do it just to be sure.  He had 4 extra oil filters on hand that he threw in but I need an air filter and oil for sure.  There is some oil seeping from the cylinder head covers on both sides, just enough to make the fins "dirty", so I ordered some new gaskets as well.

A lot of the rubber hoses are checked and I want to replace those as well.  Nothing like a split fuel line to make for an unhappy day...

What check valves?  

Also, what is "TB's and TPS" ??

Thanks,

Joe