Clutch parts?

Jacob Ezzell

If the clutch on my 2001 v11 sport is wearing out, as in it slips badly, especially when starting on Hills or going up my driveway, what parts need to be replaced? I see the clutch kits on mgcycles but that looks like a full replacement, flywheel etc.

I'd rather order some bits before crabbing the frame, but does it make more sense to take it apart first, then see what needs to be replaced?

You didn't say the miles on the bike. There are a couple of ways to approach it:

1. Cheapest is pull it apart, inspect everything and replace what's needed. This will also keep the bike off the road the longest.
  2. I prefer to replace the whole kit and order pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing and friction plate and have them on hand before I start the job.

If I ever do this on my V11 I will put in a lighter flywheel as well

And perhaps all the seals?

I guess it depends on the seals.  I tend to leave seals alone unless they really need it.  I just feel I am more likely to screw up putting in a new seal and cause a leak where there was none before.  That said, I haven't researched MG seals so if they are prone to failure, they should definitely go as well.  In case the OP doesn't know which ones we are talking about there are three: the rear seal on the crank case and the input and output seals on the transmission.

Is it worth breaking open the hydraulics to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder?

If the clutch on my 2001 v11 sport is wearing out, as in it slips badly, especially when starting on Hills or going up my driveway, what parts need to be replaced? I see the clutch kits on mgcycles but that looks like a full replacement, flywheel etc.

I'd rather order some bits before crabbing the frame, but does it make more sense to take it apart first, then see what needs to be replaced?

Yes.You should only need friction plates,seals,o-ring for push rod and ,lock nut and washer.Springs,clutch hub,front and rear seals only need to be replaced if out of spec or damaged.I would do that if I had to do it again as my seals were tight and clean and no signs of leakage,about $35 each.Problem is you won't know that till you open it and it could be 4-10 weeks to get parts at times.Are you willing to wait?Some would say why not change them while your in there because of the work to open it up.To me it's a moderately difficult job to do, to others, it's a nightmare or a six-pack Saturday.Depends on where you fall.

By the way I have the MG tools needed for disassembling ,re-aligning the clutch assembly.

Michael

Here's the seals etc.

90405367 – rear main seal
95028025 – lock washer
90706233 – input shaft o-ring
90404059 – input seal
12007600 – breather pipe gasket
GMS53B-8X25-10.9 – flywheel bolt (6x)
GMW93-8 – 8mm schnoor washer (6x)