Looking at a 2004 Le mans

Guest redzrx

Hi I'm knew to the sight (snooped for a while). Read a lot of MC mags and reviews on the Le mans and am curious of the reliability of the Bike.. I fell in love with the Nero Corsa and would like to buy it but am unsure of it's potential as a high mileage maintanence friendly motorcycle. Has any not have any problems? I currently ride a kawasaki ZRX1100 (5years) with no problems and I have ridden it hard at times.

Also those with the Ohlins suspension.. Hows the ride on rought pavement? worth the extra money?

thanx in Advance .. Mario (lookin at a 2004)

P.S Great Site

Guest callithrix

Welcome to the site. The lemans is a potentially incredibly reliable motorcycle with unmistakable character. The early models were fraught with numerous potential problems that were exacerbated by poor quality control. I think most of those early issues have been addressed and rectified. The most crucial aspect for a Guzzi, in my personal and subjective opinion, is proper set up by your dealer and maintenance.

It's not the kind of bike you ride and forget about, it needs periodic adjustments and will demand them if neglected. Consider it quality time. It's an old school kind of bike. I know it's sounds cheesy but you develop a repor with your bike. Once you become familiar with it's idiosynchrosies you'll love it.

I just purchased a 2003 and still have a 2002 Lemans so I'm obviously either smitten or a glutton for punishment. Seriously though if you enjoy tinkering with mechanical objects this bike will thoroughly appeal to you. If performing your own maintainance is something you disdain perhaps you should reconsider.

In response to your Ohlins question though I've never ridden on them but I've never heard anything but rave reviews in regards to their performance and quality. The Nero is a beautiful bike and if you can afford it I say spring for the ohlins I doubt you'll regret it. :bike:

P.S.I knew what you were saying. Much luck with your decision.

"fraught" .... :huh: That seems a bit severe :rolleyes:

Goodness now, don't go scaring him away from the 2002's out there that are some great bargains ;)

Since he's looking at a 2004, it's something of a non-issue, but other than the engine paint and timing gaskets that often blew within the first month(all covered under warrantee), the '02s aren't really any more problematic that past and current models.

It seems that each year has it's 2 or 3 specific problems, and it often seems to take a year or two for them to show up. For example, with the 2003 bikes, the front crossover tube has proven to be a problem for many people, working loose, and damaging the alternator by banging against it. So it just depends.

But all-in-all, the new bikes do seem to have a better QA program going, and I've heard nothing but generally good things about their fit, finish, and durability. I don't think you would go wrong buying the new Nero.

...and yes, the Ohlins rocks :bike:

al

Do you have a thing for candy-canes? :lol:

Sorry... It's a pretty bright paint scheme, though.

I imagine the new Le Mans and the Corsa are going to be as reliable as previous models. Al's right- every year has some 'issue', but these are pretty minor (c'mon, a leaking seal?). Many of us have put quite a few miles on their bikes with no problems at all. I've got 10K on mine, and it's just starting to hit it's stride. Guzzi's are not much more complicated than a rock. There's just not that much to go wrong on them. The engineering is stone-age, and the materials aren't much more advanced. That's a good thing in my opinion; I maintain (mostly) my Guzzi's, and I have about 180,000 miles on one of them. I expect to exceed that on my other Guzzi's. Get it set up right and you'll be a happy camper for a long, long time. Where are you, and maybe the list can recommend a dealer that *really* works well?

Cheers,

Jason

From the pictures I've seen (most recently in a MG full page ad in Motorcyclist) the Nero looks like an absolutely gorgeous bike. I think the two-tone black scheme is incredible looking on this motorcycle. I have a question (off-topic for this thread) though, regarding the fact that in the same ad there is also a picture of a Griso. Now the ad doesn't state that these motorcycles are for sale here, but looking at the ad I would infer that they both are. Does anyone have any information regarding the Griso being for sale in the US?

Thanks for the response guys .. You may have convinced me.

I'm in Northern Ontario, Canada and there are a few Guzzi bikers here who I happen to know and they seem to love there bikes.

Thanx again.

Mario

Do you have a thing for candy-canes? :lol:

Sorry... It's a pretty bright paint scheme, though.

I think the Candy Wrapper scheme is the Coppa Italia which I heard is Italian for "Gettin' Some" :not:

(I'm looking forward to seeing one of those up close. They look 'festive' to me.)

The Nero Corse looks to be a fabulous package. But 'reliability' is kind of a relative term. It not only implies how much might break but also how long it may take to fix. By all appearances parts availability and service turn around are improving but probably still not on par with the Japanese.

So, Mario, will you keep the Z-rex and add the LeMans? That way a little down time for sorting and fettling will be no disaster as you have another ride to enjoy. :bike:

From the pictures I've seen (most recently in a MG full page ad in Motorcyclist) the Nero looks like an absolutely gorgeous bike. I think the two-tone black scheme is incredible looking on this motorcycle. I have a question (off-topic for this thread) though, regarding the fact that in the same ad there is also a picture of a Griso. Now the ad doesn't state that these motorcycles are for sale here, but looking at the ad I would infer that they both are. Does anyone have any information regarding the Griso being for sale in the US?

The Griso is a somewhere over the rainbow project and is not avalible for sale anywhere yet as its not in production. Production is possibly slated for 2005/06 yes it will be avalible in the US as imagine the only market with awlful enough taste to absorbe any volume of these things is the US. I think is uglier that and herd of camel arseholes BTW my opion of course. Guzzi are currently feverishly working on getting the MGS01 series (which will be the last of the serious aircooled sport bikes in all likelyhood) into production when they come out with a price I'll make a decision but I am prepared to stretch much further than for any other brand. Is anyone taking delivery of the corse verion yet?