Intake boots

stewgnu

Right.  Mental note to self:  If I ever experience bad running problems, check those damn boots first!

4 times now I've had juddery idling combined with flickering lights and random surges.  Every time I'm thinking 'Arg!  Water in the electrics?  Water in the tank??  Blocked filter???  Etc Etc...'

Every time it's been the tb blown back off the boot.

So.  I've got to ask:  What the hell do other owners do?  Do you guys live with it and just expect to have to occasionally reset the rubbers back in place or do you fix 'em with something?

My pal mentioned maybe using a squoit of hairspray to fix them- any thoughts on this?  What about a dab of loctite?

I don't want to tighten the jube clips up too much as that previously caused a bad split in one.

Stew.

Your bike is ten years old now and those boots dry out, and get cracks. Get some fresh ones, and see if the problem persists.

Well I did the valve clearances last month along with the tps adjustment and cylinder balance.  There's new boots on there too.

I'm not a mechanic so I'm not saying everything has been ideally synched....  But she went from running crap to quite good.

The bike mostly runs very well, just the occasional hiccup around, say, 2,600 revs now so not perfect.

Would a less than perfect tps setting result in those pulses back thru the intakes?

It's the valve adjustment>TPS>idle setting>synchronization cycle.

Agreed with luhbo that the synch is suspect, but all of these parameters affect the others, so every tune-up gets the parameters closer and closer.

Be sure you are tuning to a correct idle speed ( many of these tachs read as much as 300-500 rpm high). Also, setting your synch (throttle body balance) "off idle" is helpful (probably in that mid-2000 rpm range).

My experience is that pulling the air screws out a full turn gives me better results, but "YMMV!"

AFTER you check all that stuff, if you still have issues check your cam chain tensioner and cam timing. A weak tensioner could allow the cam timing to vary and poor cam timing can cause the intake kick back.

But check all the other simpler stuff first.

Before you dig in deeper, after having done the easy things first, consider that blown off boots happen quite often. So often that one could think that's just normal. Watch it, and then try to keep the flaps open when in risky conditions, such as interrupted warm starts for instance.

Hubert

I can't recall the wife's V11, or any of our other GUzzi's having the TB's blow off the boots.

We did have a boot fail, rotted and cracked as others have experienced. Were able to rig a temp fix with some electrical tape for the ride home.

Ok, appreciate the replys, thanks.

I'm off round the North tomo (All 4 English northern national parks- not too shabby!) So poss 8 or 9 hundred miles or so...  I'll see how she performs- no time to feck with her as I'm away at half 5 in the morning to meet my pal at the Hartside Cafe for 9.

When I get back I'll change the oils, clean the filter, check the clearances, check the tps and cylinder balance again.

LIke I say: Not a mechanic (I could bore you to death about plasterin) but one trys ones best.

Ta,

Stew

Before you dig in deeper, after having done the easy things first, consider that blown off boots happen quite often. So often that one could think that's just normal. Watch it, and then try to keep the flaps open when in risky conditions, such as interrupted warm starts for instance.

Hubert

Flaps?   Risky??

Risky Flaps??

Warm Risky Flaps???