2003 V11 LeMans header pipe replacement questions

bikelee

I plan on replacing the header pipes on my 2003 V11 LeMans due to the seals on the front crossover blowing out over time. I was able to get some used header pipes from a 2002 Scura that do not have the crossover. I thought about replacing the seals but I replaced some on a Ballabio I had a few years ago and it was a PIA. I don't want to deal with that again so I'm just gonna eliminate that with pipes that do not have that front crossover.

I have new header exhaust gaskets. The way I plan on doing job is to take apart the whole system from rear to front and then assemble it from front to rear loosely and then tighten everything when I am satisfied with the fitment. I will make sure the header pipes are not stressed as I think this can cause cracking over time. ( I am assuming I can't just undo the header pipes from the head and undo the joint at the rear crossover and wiggle out the header pipe ? ) Should I use clear RTV sealant on the exhaust joints say at the header/rear crosss over and rear cross over and muffler or another sealant or any sealant at all  ? Any hints or help to help me do this job right would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Leon.  :oldgit:  (Old Gitt)

:thumbsup::mg:

I'd say, yes, you can unbolt the header pipes. The head studs could be quite corroded, so stand by with something like PB Blaster and a a torch. Clean the studs up really well and apply some anti-seize paste for next time.

Otherwise, I don't think RTV will hold up to exhaust temps. Clamp them up dry and well fitted.

I don't use RTV at those joints. I do put some anti-seize there, not for sealing but to make any future dis-assembly easier. Having an air tight seal at those joints is only critical if your bike has an O2 sensor, and in that case it is only critical until the sensor. Beyond the sensor should not matter.

Yes, making sure the system is fitted properly without stress is very good, and may help prevent cracking, especially at the crossover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

GuzziTech offer them but you might need to contact Todd directly.

Another option is to find a used set (or new) from a V11 that did not have the F'n crossover at the front.

Here they are.

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v11s-headers-no-core/

and

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v11s-headers/

If your budget is less than the cost of new headers...

You might check old classified ads here and on Wildguzzi for a pair of pipes from any 2002 bike (not sure if earlier years are the same). I have a spare 2002 RH pipe in good condition, but not a LH. If you can find a LH and want the RH, send me a PM.

You could also weld the crossovers closed.