Cleaning up the Guzz

Guest captain nemo

Ok, based upon all these glowing reviews, I went out and bought some of that hyper-expensive S100 stuff today, their detergent and wheel cleaning forumlas, and gave them a squirt.... ^_^

Well, it certainly is good stuff at dissolving road crud, I'll give it that :thumbsup:

But at ~$7 for 2 tiny squirt bottle($15 investment), I don't know that it was commensurately better than good ole Simple Green(~$2 for jug), and my "Autozone" automotive detergent :P

It's hard to say I could tell that much difference honestly.

It does seem to work though :sun: Since I've got 'em I'll keep on using the stuff and see how it works over time. Maybe I'll warm up to it more after I use it a few more times :huh2:

al

Well, based on the esteemed opinions of my collegues here, I went out and picked up a bottle of this stuff. Wow, it does work, especially on my wheels. Since I have spokes, this is a big timesaver. Cleans up the brakes nicely as well. Thanks Guzzi guys.

Guest captain nemo

Yea, I cleaned the evil Christmas Guzzi today with s100 as well. Wow. Simple Green simply doesn't cut it. Not like that. And whoever said they were the same thing? This stuff will burn your hands.

Hrmm, maybe they sell a different Simple Green up in your neck-o-the-woods :lol:

But that stuff undiluted is tough stuff that I wouldn't want to soak my hands in very long :P

Glad to hear that the S100 worked wonders for you guys, but honestly sprayed directly on dirt(all work best not pre-soaked with water) the Simple Green seemed to dissolve all the road-grime and oil 'on contact' and cause the dirt to weep off just as well as the S100 did on my bike today :huh2:

If it was better, I'm not sure it was $5+ better per bottle(really about $10 better since it's half the quantity of my Simple Green) .... :huh2: I'd have to think twice about spending that much again since one bottle is only good for 3 to 4 washes based on today's use.

Anyway, not knocking S100 or it's proponents.... just my observations from a price/performance perspective. I've still got enough left for a couple more washings and will continue to give it a try though ^_^

al

You're right, it is a little pricey if you really soak the bike. I plan on using it regularly only for special areas, like the rims, spokes, and brakes -- and for occasional touch ups everywhere else. With my black wrinkle paint, it doesn't do a lot anyway. But on the aluminum it's pretty noticeable.

S100 has some stuff "formulated" just for bringing the "black back out" on painted engines and keeping it looking dark instead of gray.... I forget what it was called, but it was in a small aerosol can, and I picked some up and will try it out later.

It's supposed to be heat resistant, stay "black", etc... dunno how well it works yet though :huh2:

al

I have a very different view on this. I used to be an S100 believer [i used to get it free all the time winning show&shines], but realised that it is very caustic, and very strong. How strong? Well it took the cadmium plating off every bolt, nut and screw on my Norton. I used it as per instructions, but it made a mess.

I use simple green now, but very carefully spray the soft paint brush with the stuff, and use it on the bottom area of an engine only. No paint, no rubber.

The most important thing is removiong all of this residual cleaner, spraying it off good, drying it off with a towl, so you can detail the machine at the same time you dry it, and water helps.

...yep, I think I'll now either be super-judicious with the S100, or just toss it out.

I found that it also ate the finish on the black clutch/brake levers just like the finish on the exhaust hangars. Before, satin black, after S100 application... ashen/dull black <_>

A little wax will clean them right up, but they look like the bike's been out in the weather and Sun for months now :vomit:

Back to Simple Green...

al