Cleaning up the Guzz

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

Now that my pipes are off, I want to give the Guzz a good cleaning around the cases and jugs. Do I just use a degreaser? Is there any handy product that brings the engine case back to a new condition?

S100 or Simple Green work pretty well. Remember the cases are painted so too much solvent may strip the paint. The manual calls for "petrol" but I bet their New York lawyers didn't see that line.

Hot water and detergent worked with a parts cleaning brush is effective as well.

I like Simple Green, or any good automotive detergent(Bleech White makes a nice detergent with "wax").... nothing too harsh.

Spray on the SG, or just douse the bike with the detergent mix, let sit for a few moments... then I just wash off with one of those big fuzzy cotton encased sponges, and all the oil and grime comes right off. Towel dry to avoid spotting and it's a 30 minute job at worst.

...one tip, don't try this in hot or really sunny weather. The soap will dry and spot up waaaay too fast to get a good result. And of course, similarly, wash the bike cold.

Then just let it air-dry for a while, then start it up for a few minutes to warm everything up enough to dry out the rest..... and you're done ^_^

al

P.S.

I guess it seems obvious, but just in case.... be EXTRA CAREFUL not to get water in your cylinders whilst doing this cleaning with the headers off. It's not the end of the world if you do get just a bit in there, but certainly something best avoided :unsure:

al

...oh and cover your instruments with a cloth/bag so that they don't get a direct blast of water, and of course don't douse/blast any electrical connectors if you can avoid it.

The next time you take the bike apart, if you put some good dielectric grease on the various connectors, you should have little issues with moisture degrading the connectors for a good long time. Do this once a year or so, and you'll be well served.

al

The S100 cleaner is the best stuff I've ever used. It's available at any HD shop. Ten minutes spraying the bike followed with ten minutes flushing with a garden hose. Think volume not pressure here. Blow dry with a leaf blower and the bike is the cleanest it's EVER been.

I'll second the S100 cleaner recommendation and if you really want to bring the look of those engine cases back to new, try the S100 Engine Brightener spray...specifcially made for the black painted cases to bring them back to a deep black color. :rolleyes:

Guest captain nemo

Thanks, me hardies....I also like the idea of getting some grease on my connectors - wherever they are. I guess it's about time to find out. Moto?............

The cynical part of me says to be careful around all those "sealed" bearings also. Don't blast 'em with water.

I guess I could go rub an ice-cube on my bike today. How does that work as a cleaner? :lol:

Cheers,

Jason

I've used S100 since it came out. Great stuff! But DO keep it away from bearings. They aren't sealed up THAT tight!

S100 takes off brake dust better than any cleaner I have ever used. Great degreaser too and it's neutral pH won't hurt most plastics. It won't turn your alloy parts black like high pH products will! (Don't ask how I know that can happen!)

I've used S100 since it came out. Great stuff! But DO keep it away from bearings. They aren't sealed up THAT tight!

S100 takes off brake dust better than any cleaner I have ever used. Great degreaser too and it's neutral pH won't hurt most plastics. It won't turn your alloy parts black like high pH products will! (Don't ask how I know that can happen!)

Wow Rich, you'll have to let us on your secret "on the bike anodization" technique. Just add a little dye to your process, polish, and voila! :lol:

With all the accolades, I'll have to check out this S100 stuff one day. But for now Simple Green is cheap and works pretty darned well :thumbsup:

al