V11 Sport knocking sound.

thelonewonderer

I think we have hijacked the original posters thread enough already - so lest we stray into the minutae zone of the whole oil level thing - may I suggest a level calibration of the dipstick (enough said about that) and then translate that into your preferred side-stand location - as long as you are consistent and have a reference point, then you "should" be ok. Personally I agree with Guzzimoto and prefer level. Because it's level. Are you sure of the PO's mark ..?

yeah, I am pretty sure the PO has his act together.  They guy and his dad (Chuck from Ind) are ace mechanics that went through the bike and it runs like a champ (power commander, mufflers, crossover, air filter).  And when I've changed the oil and filter the oil matches yellow mark.  

Again, I don't know a good way to check a level dipstick mark when the bike doesn't have a center stand.  (This is the only bike I've had that didn't have one.)

Here's a pic of the modified dipstick I refer to earlier (per PM request). With Roper plate fitted, bike level and dipstick screwed in, 3.8 l gives a level between H and H2 with no evidence of any over-fill.

Resting my case now.

Gio

Fear not bretheren of the dark side ... come - join us on the light side, for we knoweth our oil volume, of ways to better contain it's slipperiness and also to compare with other fellows the correctness of it's presence using simple gravity. Indeed we are most comforted by knowing that the red light of evil no longer knocks at our door ... leaving us time to worry of other things ...

Anon.

• Like 2

Fear not bretheren of the dark side ... come - join us on the light side, for we knoweth our oil volume, of ways to better contain it's slipperiness and also to compare with other fellows the correctness of it's presence using simple gravity. Indeed we are most comforted by knowing that the red light of evil no longer knocks at our door ... leaving us time to worry of other things ...

Anon.

This has to be the best forum statement I have read in years. Simply awesome.

We've probably got three topics going in this thread, but regarding dipstick calibration:

FAQ by Ryland3210 re: oil level

(EDIT 02012015) - I moved the various posts regarding LowRyter's Oil Leak that we can better discuss that specifically while attempting to leave the dipstick reading/ oil level remarks in this thread as that may be a significant issue leading up to the dreaded knocking sound.

Splitting posts is a bit tricky, but I've done my best with it and we can hand this thread back to thelonewonderer to keep us in the know about his Sport.

Agreed docc - OP's thread has been hijacked enough already!

LowRyter - my suggestion was a possible place where your "leak" might be from ... I'm trying to avoid the oil volume question as we don't know what that is in your case or how it compares to others - suffice to say an over-filled engine would certainly tend to get rid of it's oil from such a place, if there was a leak.

Maybe start a new thread on your oil leak and see if we can help you find it?

Just to keep things interesting, if you start a new thread on this - I'll place a friendly wager of 3.8 l of Castrol 15/45 dino (excl shipping) that the leaking oil is coming from the breather pipe ... fair enough?

Gio

(Moderator EDIT: LowRyter's Oil Leak thread)

• 1 month later...

Uh....not quite. You can drop the oil pan & look in the oil pan . You might see a lot of metallic particles floating in the oil . If so , remove the rod caps ( after using a metal stamp to index them to each rod and direction) and look to see if the bearing and rod journal are o.k or not.

How much you know or don't know will depend on your success . Be honest w/yourself and Google pictures of these terms , procedures and repairs to be aware of your situation and direction you need to take .

So, I've finally dropped the oil pan. There were no metal flakes in the oil. Not sure if I want to continue on if it may not be a bearing...

• 3 weeks later...

My Guzzi mechanic (Brooklyn, NY) replaced the lower rod bearings in my 2002 Scura at around 8.000 miles.  He said he heard a noise coming from the crankcase.  I couldn't hear the noise before or after the repair but it seemed to vibrate a little less.