Replacement Veglia or ITI Speedometers - Ducati?

Rhino1

I've done a search and can't find anything that answers this question:  Has anyone successfully used a speedometer off of a Ducati or similar Italian motorcycle to replace a broken Guzzi ITI speedo?  Seems like the late-90's/early 2000's Ducati Veglia speedo's might work.  Anyone know what ratio they run?  

I need to replace or repair the broken ITI speedo on my '03 LeMans.  I'd prefer not to have to run a bicycle speedo if I don't have to.  I know that VDO gauges have been made to work, but I'm not enamored with their appearance.

Thanks.

I bought a pair of white faced Veglia clocks as fitted to early V11s with the idea of fitting them to my 05 Le Mans replacing the black plastic ITI things, after changing the wiring plug on the tach and changing the speedo cable, it has a smaller top connection on the ITI and fitting the angle drive from an earlier model, yes it all worked until I went down the road and the speedo was reading much too high, further investigation and cursing revealed the worm drive in the gearbox is different, I do have both gears in stock but I draw the line at tearing the gearbox apart, so be aware that the later speedo cables spin faster than the early ones,

at this point I put it all back as it was.

I bought a pair of white faced Veglia clocks as fitted to early V11s with the idea of fitting them to my 05 Le Mans replacing the black plastic ITI things, after changing the wiring plug on the tach and changing the speedo cable, it has a smaller top connection on the ITI and fitting the angle drive from an earlier model, yes it all worked until I went down the road and the speedo was reading much too high, further investigation and cursing revealed the worm drive in the gearbox is different, I do have both gears in stock but I draw the line at tearing the gearbox apart, so be aware that the later speedo cables spin faster than the early ones,

at this point I put it all back as it was.

I was afraid this might be the answer...  I suppose I could try a Duc version (they're cheap enough on fleabay...).  There used to be an outfit here in California that offered a repair service, but I understand that they are out of the necessary repair parts.   

Anyone else have any experience with this? 

I've been waiting and watching a couple members who use each. The non-GPS uses a simple switch and completely eliminates the cable (and the problematic bevel drives of the early Veglia).

It would appear that this solution would be last clocks I would have to worry about.

Pretty thorough thread here in  "How to . . ."  Converting Speedometer to Electric Drive

Also, see:

GPS unit on chamberlin's V11

• Like 1

I've been waiting and watching a couple members who use each. The non-GPS uses a simple switch and completely eliminates the cable (and the problematic bevel drives of the early Veglia).

It would appear that this solution would be last clocks I would have to worry about.

Pretty thorough thread here in  "How to . . ."  Converting Speedometer to Electric Drive

Also, see:

GPS unit on chamberlin's V11

Docc, I just read through Chamberlin's thread in its entirety--good stuff.  And it looks like the Speedhut gauges are a great option.  

• 1 month later...

Rhino,

I'm late to answering this thread but if you still want a replacement to your ITI speedo, talk to Curtis at Harpers. He sold me a new speedo that dropped into place and even runs 5mph fast like my old speedo !

Mind you if this one dies an early death I'll probally go the Speedhut route.

I went the 

I know that VDO gauges have been made to work, but I'm not enamored with their appearance.

Then design your own gauges with Speedhut, any colour, any font, any logo etc, etc.

The last time I checked just over $300 for the pair.

A link to my thread http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18588&hl=

I ordered four speedhut gauges: tach, GPS speedo, oil pressure, voltmeter. $460 for all four. Tach and speedo were $320. They had 15% off for March Madness.

Roy - Thanks for linking to your install thread; that will come in handy.

Thanks for linking my thread docc.

Just went for a ride the other day. GPS clocks are working great, and they look so good its hard to keep your eyes on the road!

I should have just talked to speedhut about making a V11 white kit and V11 black kit available, so it would be a piece of cake for you to order, and for them to build. Lemme know if you want my logos, although their art dept. Likely still has them.