the case of the disappearing clutch fulid

dangerous

Where's the slave cylinder buried? Somewhere between that and the handlebar. My bet is on the slave cylinder seal since you can't see anything at the handlebar end.

You'd think the clutch wouldn't be working too great with all that leaking going on.

I have not had this problem on the V11, but I had exactly the same symptoms as you describe on my Husqvarna. The problem was an internal leak in the slave cylinder. I first replaced the O-ring, which worked for a little while. Then, since the cylinder walls were also a bit worn, I ended up replacing the whole unit.

FWIW - I rode it for quite a while before I figured it out - just carried a small bottle of fluid (mineral oil in this case) and kept topping it up. This engendered great mockery from riders of orange bikes. Coincidentally - my first top-up of the Husky's clutch fluid was done yesterday - and the replacement cylinder was a few years ago - I assume (aka hope) this is due to wear, not further leakage.

My first repair was analogous to part 11 in the attached diagram. Second repair was the whole unit, analogous to parts 8 through 13. I think you can remove the slave cylinder housing (part 13) without disconnecting the hydraulic line - then you can see if it's leaking inside. 

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 6.28.27 AM.png

I think it will be easier to get to if you remove the rear wheel - just more room to see what you're doing. 

I like your topic title by the way. It reminds me of A. Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. I suspect The Case of the Disappearing Clutch Fluid will be solved by its re-discovery in the housing (assuming no external or line leakage, which should be the first test). Elementary, my dear dangerous. 

This engendered great mockery from riders of orange bikes. Coincidentally - my first top-up of the Husky's clutch fluid was done yesterday - and the replacement cylinder was a few years ago - I assume (aka hope) this is due to wear, not further leakage.

Your orange riding freinds musn't use their bikes much! My orange bikes develop leaky slaves at about 25 K, there are more reliable aftermarked slaves available but they look a bit bling

This engendered great mockery from riders of orange bikes. Coincidentally - my first top-up of the Husky's clutch fluid was done yesterday - and the replacement cylinder was a few years ago - I assume (aka hope) this is due to wear, not further leakage.

Your orange riding freinds musn't use their bikes much! My orange bikes develop leaky slaves at about 25 K, there are more reliable aftermarked slaves available but they look a bit bling

Some do, others don't. They just don't feel like respecting the Husky. I return the "favor" when appropriate.

@dangerous - if the cylinder turns out to be the problem (not a leaky hose or loose connection), consider replacing the whole unit rather than just the O-ring. It'll cost more, but you won't have to think about it again for a long time. At least that's my experience with a different bike.

I think it will be easier to get to if you remove the rear wheel - just more room to see what you're doing. 

I like your topic title by the way. It reminds me of A. Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. I suspect The Case of the Disappearing Clutch Fluid will be solved by its re-discovery in the housing (assuming no external or line leakage, which should be the first test). Elementary, my dear dangerous. 

when you have eliminated the impossiblewhatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth... 

The slave cylinder is clearly visible, along with the line connection, on the very back of the gearbox in front of the swingarm

mean... thats what I wanted to here, bolt off bolt on the new?

Should be bolt-off, bolt-on, once you have the part. Of course, you will also need to bleed the air out - may as well flush all the old fluid while you're at it. Might be worth checking others' experiences with replacing whole unit vs just the o-ring on the V11. My experience is for a different bike.

As for the location - it has to be where it is, because it needs a straight line to activate the throwout bearing, which is inline with the crankshaft, flywheel, etc. The transverse mounted V motor dictates the placement of the clutch slave in that easy to see, but hard to reach, location.

right just revisiting this thread, sorry been busy doing the gardens, feeding the kids, having a stroke, bottling me home brew... so got the chance to insepct the slave etc... no leaks anywere... so back to the thread title if theres no leak were the hell is the fluid going???

It's fairly thin stuff, evaporating into the Canty nor'wester? Someone suggested it could be filling up the clutch housing. I guess if the seal has failed it could leak along the actuator plunger and get there, but I haven't looked up the schematic.