the case of the disappearing clutch fulid

dangerous

When you say you inspected the slave, I assume you completely removed the slave from the case so you could inspect the inside. Is that correct?

If it's not leaking on the outside (eliminated the impossible), then it must be leaking on the inside (however improbable, must be true). If it is leaking internally, the fluid would go into the case, and this would be very hard to see - even with the entire slave cylinder removed (per illustration in post #4).

Some further investigation ideas:

The fluid is thin and almost clear. Maybe you could try dabbing some on a screwdriver to see how it looks on a part. A small flashlight might then help to search the bike again - it focuses your attention and the light will reflect differently off wet and dry surfaces.

Docc suggested I used foot powder to investigate an oil leak on my bike. Maybe that would work for this puzzle too. You could try coating the master, line, and slave with powder and just squeeze the clutch several times - see if anything gets gooey. If not, go for a short ride and look again.

The only differences between the stationary test and the riding test will be wind and heat. I don't see how wind would make a difference, so if it does not leak while cold and stationary, but does leak while riding, I'd focus on the parts that get hottest - the slave cylinder and any sections of the line that get close to hot parts.

Until it's solved, stash a little bottle of fluid under the seat. If you keep riding it and the leak gets worse, it will become easier to solve.

When you say you inspected the slave, I assume you completely removed the slave from the case so you could inspect the inside. Is that correct?

Until it's solved, stash a little bottle of fluid under the seat. If you keep riding it and the leak gets worse, it will become easier to solve.

no sorry, just an external looksie with a bright torch (dont have much pachents at the mo due to a stroke a week ago leaving me mostely blind in 1 eye)

think for now due to cant be farked itus Ill do as you say in the last line, but I do like your other ideas. 

I also wasn't sure how to interpret the stroke. I figured maybe it's one of those words that gets used differently sometimes - like torch = flashlight. I'd never use a torch on my motorcycle - it could catch fire....

And when you do solve the case of the disappearing clutch fluid, I'll be curious to hear the solution.

Wishing you the best in your recovery - and in the home brewing.  :bier:

thanks guys... yeah stroke (not as in self graterfacation) but as in failer o the blood flowing in my case to the eye. lost 60% vision the stroke aparently incouged by a rather high colestrol level, gota watch what I eat drink, having said that my homebrew has no added sugar so reckon I can have twice the usual and the big one... exasize, so when I can focus a bit beter Im going to exasise my right arm (not to stroke) to empty a beer bottle or two and heave the rear wheel out of the bike to get at the slave... or maybe ill just top it up and ride some.

• Like 1

emmm was thinking the slave, its in behind the rear engine casing aye? behind the rear wheel and swing arm?

asuming it is in the bell housing and thats were the missing fluid will be aye?

I'm vague on this , too: if the slave leaks forward along its shaft, will the fluid go clear through to the bell housing (and dribble out the weep hole), or would it flow into the gearbox oil?

emmm was thinking the slave, its in behind the rear engine casing aye? behind the rear wheel and swing arm?

I'm vague on this , too: if the slave leaks forward along its shaft, will the fluid go clear through to the bell housing (and dribble out the weep hole), or would it flow into the gearbox oil?

yeah well thats what worries me, everything feels fine altho the gear changes sometimes 'crunch' when they never did... I just dont want to make the issue worse by not finding out the actual issue, leaver feels noral.

yeah well thats what worries me, everything feels fine altho the gear changes sometimes 'crunch' when they never did... I just dont want to make the issue worse by not finding out the actual issue, leaver feels noral.

Well, it stands to reason that if there is a leak present, you won't get a full stroke and the gear changes may be a bit more difficult /crunchy.

Sorry to hear about your stroke--I, too, thought you were kidding.

• 2 months later...

righ oh then... the riding season has drawn to an end here, finished up with a 1500km ride and still loosing fluid, still no sign of were its going however the prievious ride to a rally in the morning on start up there was  bit of smoke, fluid burning of the exhaust box so im thinking thar was from the slave but nothing since.

strip down time now so who here is beter than me at finding a exploded view of the slave so I know what to look for, hopfully will make a start this weekend.

I suppose if the leak from the slave was rather small, and leaking only while under way, the exhaust would be burning it off with little to no sign of wetness.

righ oh then... the riding season has drawn to an end here, finished up with a 1500km ride and still loosing fluid, still no sign of were its going however the prievious ride to a rally in the morning on start up there was  bit of smoke, fluid burning of the exhaust box so im thinking thar was from the slave but nothing since.

strip down time now so who here is beter than me at finding a exploded view of the slave so I know what to look for, hopfully will make a start this weekend.

Glad you were able to enjoy it for a while longer and wait for off-season to repair.  There's an exploded diagram on the previous page of this topic (post #4).

ohhh I thought that was ya Husky you were talking about... looks like its basicly a one piece item, ie ill have to replace the hole thing

got as far as cleaning the garage up ready to start, found its got a flat tyre so, ill sort that 1st

My first repair was analogous to part 11 in the attached diagram. Second repair was the whole unit, analogous to parts 8 through 13. I think you can remove the slave cylinder housing (part 13) without disconnecting the hydraulic line - then you can see if it's leaking inside. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-08 at 6.28.27 AM.png

shit shoulda read a bit closer, still getting used to one eye... did start another thread http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19020think you answered me right back then 

this is ging to be a right bitch aye... 

• 1 month later...

Is it possable... 

that a wearing clutch will use fluid to take slack, ok like when ya car brakes were you need to top up fluid, put new pads in and ya have to push the pistons in and remove fluid before it over flows???

Just that its all dry as a dry thing around the slave, ill finely have it out tomorow so ill let ya know...