V11 lemans tail tidy

Guzzipk

Hi all, i have spent a few hours looking for a tail tidy for my v11 lemans tenni, i dont want to cut up the original for obvious reasons however would like to run a tail tidy. I am struggling to find antthing that is currently avail do any ideas or input from you fellow guzzi guys will be appreciated.

Cheers

Call the folks from FBF, Fast by Ferraci. I purchased mine a few months ago. They did not have it listed on their website so I simply emailed them and a week later I had it in my mailbox, (Sorta)

It has a couple issues, one less important tenth other. There are no directions for wiring but it' pretty straight forward. The bigger one is the brake light, its small and not all that bright. I would love to find a way to retrofit the LED brake light (stock shape) that Harper Moto sells. Its 10 times brighter then the POS FBF offers. I am very happy with the Tidy tail though! 

http://www.harpermoto.com/led-taillight-conversion-for-v11-sport-and-lemans-1999-2004.html

Good Luck. 

Call the folks from FBF, Fast by Ferraci. I purchased mine a few months ago. They did not have it listed on their website so I simply emailed them and a week later I had it in my mailbox, (Sorta)

It has a couple issues, one less important tenth other. There are no directions for wiring but it' pretty straight forward. The bigger one is the brake light, its small and not all that bright. I would love to find a way to retrofit the LED brake light (stock shape) that Harper Moto sells. Its 10 times brighter then the POS FBF offers. I am very happy with the Tidy tail though!

http://www.harpermoto.com/led-taillight-conversion-for-v11-sport-and-lemans-1999-2004.html

Good Luck.

Jet, would you happen to have a pic of yours?

I have the FBF tail but changed the taillight to an all red one.

Not sure of the specs

but would love to somehow install this led taillight from a Ducati Sport Classic

IMG_5728.jpgF90671065.jpg

Hope this confuses you even more  :thumbsup:

I have the FBF tail but changed the taillight to an all red one.

Not sure of the specs

but would love to somehow install this led taillight from a Ducati Sport Classic

IMG_5728.jpgF90671065.jpg

Hope this confuses you even more  :thumbsup:

I like that.  Adapting the electrics could be a bit of a chore.

I also found this:

4656_1a_1.jpg

http://www.aerostich.com/stopper-led-brake-light-versa-light.html

I put that Aerostich unit on my Sport as a back-up for burned out bulbs or tail light failure. It is rather dim and highly directional. Even after I shimmed it to angle up toward driver's eyes, it is just not very bright.

Its advantage is that it has tail light, brake light and turn signals.

I have a very similar unit that i use as a "quick detach" on my Aprilia RSVR track bike--it works decent enough, and is what I would use if I could manage a tail tidy...  

I might have to do as Scud suggested and just take a jigsaw to the stock plastic--but it doesn't solve the issue of that unsightly, humongous OEM taillight.  I like the Ducati solution-- think I could make something like that work.  I've seen them "live," and they look great.  

You guys in SoCal have a special situation. Here in the "sunny" south, riding in a group with a chopped fender will rooster tail road crap on your buddies and might not get you another invitation to come along.

Of course my rear fender looks like the chest of a Mexican general. :rolleyes:

I had a Ducati Sport 1000 for a while and almost put one of the Fleda units on. They do look cool.

The downside to fender elimination or reduction, as Docc noted, is road spray - and not just onto people following you.  A short fender - or having no fender at all - can spray the rider. I try to be a fair weather rider, but I just can't do it - I tend to find wet or muddy areas, so for me, keeping most of the fender makes sense. After trimming mine, I do get a little spray on the top of the taillight and on top of the tail - but hardly any on the seat cowl, and none on me.

I thought the stock taillight was sort of ugly too, but I like it now that I darkened everything around it.  I like being visible, especially at night - and size does matter, not just brightness.  FWIW, this was my approach to "tail-tidy":

• Removed all the tail parts and related electrics (which was more involved than I expected).
  • Cut fender behind license plate - I used a fine tooth blade on a jigsaw. I didn't get it perfectly straight so then I used hand files to get the shape I wanted. Then sandpaper and steel wool to polish the cut end till the finish was pretty close to the other edges.
  • Painted the chrome taillight base satin black. This, IMO, actually made the taillight look smaller. Obviously, don't paint the part by the bulb - it's chrome to make the taillight appear as bright as possible.
  • Spray tinted the turn indicator lenses.
  • Painted all the screw heads.
  • Added some black reflective tape to the license plate light.
  • Note - I did not tint the taillight. That's an option for some, but I didn't want to decrease the brightness of the taillight by even 5%.

You know what's really ugly?  The white California license plate.  I hope I get my black plate soon.  :ph34r:

DSC_0007.jpg