Running Light / Brake Light

Gottagetone

Looking at that picture, it appears the angle of view is slightly front to back accentuating the upper hump. It would good to see a few more views of the Ducati piece.

The CEV casting numbers are 358 for the lens and 2255 for the housing. Curious about the numbers on the Ducati part?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im getting rid of that piece and fabbing up a replacement that will house two of these:

http://revivalcycles.com/collections/for-your-ride-bestsellers/products/led-light

Ill also be adding the Motogadget M-Stop so the brake lights will flash a few times then go constant.  The guy at Revival says these lights are way brighter than any stock light.  Heading over there tomorrow to pick em up and have led turn signals and appropriate relay on the way.  

You can also search for eagle eye led lights on eBay for similar lights dirt cheap.  

Im getting rid of that piece and fabbing up a replacement that will house two of these:

http://revivalcycles.com/collections/for-your-ride-bestsellers/products/led-light

Ill also be adding the Motogadget M-Stop so the brake lights will flash a few times then go constant.  The guy at Revival says these lights are way brighter than any stock light.  Heading over there tomorrow to pick em up and have led turn signals and appropriate relay on the way.  

You can also search for eagle eye led lights on eBay for similar lights dirt cheap.  

Feel free to post pictures of every step in the process...   :thumbsup:

This thread got me thinking about lighting and safety - thanks.

I found this kit that converts stock turn signals into additional running lights and brake lights by adding dual-brightness red LEDs inside the stock turn signal housings. It says it works with 1156 or 1073 signal bulbs.  I just pulled a bulb, it's an Osram 5008, which appears to have the same connectors as the 1156.

Also interested in a flasher for the brake light, such as the unit by BackOff.

Has anybody installed either of these products or something similar?

No info on the backOff but after reading about it the Motogadget M stop seems to be a better choice since you can change the pattern with the flick of a switch.  

I went over to Revival today and picked up the two LEDs, M Stop, LED License plate light, and after going over the wiring diagram with the guys there I went ahead and picked up an extra resistor....and a new t-shirt.  At this point I am waiting on the LED turn signals to arrive, they are on a slow boat from China.  The LED relay that I ordered showed up today, ordered a round one to it should fit right in the place of the stock turn signal relay.  

Those little round LEDs are super bright!

IMG_3505.jpg

Thanks. I just ordered the M-Stop unit - smaller, easier to wire in, and more adjustable. In my search, I also stumbled upon these Rupse license plate lights that double as the license plate bolts.  It looks like the plate light you selected is a small bar above the plate. These bolt-lights might be worth a look. 

For anyone over the pond considering the same

www.superbrightleds.com  they have a motorcycle section.

The type 194 is my favorite for the dash, throw away the old holders and glue them in place.

The first 194  bulb that popped up when I search at SuperBright was $27USD each and 350LM  I would be broke and blind!  I looked a bit further down the page and found some more reasonable dash lights.

Craig

The 194 I use for the dash is the single LED 5 Lumen 90° one, $0.79 - $1.39, they are visible in bright sunlight. I have heard from some "they are too bright". If you find them so you could always add a series resistor.

Part No WLED-x-90  for colour substitute R, A, G, B or W for x

There's also a socket available T3.25S-SP but this is a complete waste of beer money IMHO it just takes up valuable space.

So far I haven't felt the need to change the running lamps.

Roy

• 5 months later...

I'm not even sure what that headlight thing is. Reminds me of a mantle in a white gas lantern. We always thought of those a some sort of "fuse."  :o

The 1157 tail lamp looks like an LED I tried. It was bright, but extremely unidirectional. It did not illuminate the big, stock red lens which does a good job, otherwise, of throwing light in more of a "flare."

I'm not even sure what that headlight thing is. Reminds me of a mantle in a white gas lantern. We always thought of those a some sort of "fuse."  :o

The 1157 tail lamp looks like an LED I tried. It was bright, but extremely unidirectional. It did not illuminate the big, stock red lens which does a good job, otherwise, of throwing light in more of a "flare."

I think the metal ribbon is some sort of heat sink to direct it away from the bulb/socket. But comparing it to the PIAA one, it looks pretty janky. Shame that PIAA has no H4 in LED, they have HB4's:

http://www.piaa.com/LEDbulb