rossi46

the only thing that i did differently was slowly filling he filter, put some in let it settle, put some more in and repeat

I don't prefill my filters and the oil light never stays on as long as you reported.  Less than a second every time. 

I do pre-fill my filters when they allow, but I don't put any more effort into it than you did the first time. I just pour oil in once until it is mostly full. And on motors where you can't it never matters that much. I doubt how you pre-filled the filter was the difference. Perhaps it was a bad filter, I assume you put a brand new filter on the second time?

You did not find the gasket mis-aligned or flipped?

Things happen , that's why I recommended removing the oil pressure switch . This would allow the air to be purged from the oil circuit .  

This happened to a buddy's BMW 320i . It had sat for about a year and would not pick up oil until this switch was removed and the engine started . 

I wonder if the pump was air-locked somehow, unable to suck the oil from sump?

Update - the voice of experience

Remove the oil pressure switch and start the engine . Oil should PUMP out of the hole within 6 seconds . If it does it will spray out so watch where it is pointing .

If it doesn't then it is time to go back into the engine , you may not have the gaskets indexed correctly with the parts .

I haven't had to do that yet but I've often seen pumps that won't prime in an industrial situation. They always try to design pump systems with a "Positive Suction" meaning the pump is below the liquid level and will fill with fluid under gravity. Where pumps are above the level they make special arrangements such as self priming pumps or a check valve to retain the fluid when the pump shuts down.

I believe the guzzi pump gears are above the oil level and gear pumps won't pump air for sure, having said that I'm surprised there was not enough oil remaining in the pump to give a good seal.

Whatever it was you did the right thing, stripping it down to double check your work.  :thumbsup: