Venting the clutch fluid

Hi, 

A couple of weeks ago I had an unfortunate encounter with the tarmac. Now that Im trying to fix the damage (and also rise to the occasion to alter a few things), Im running into a bit of dilemma.

Things are going well and Im making progress on most of it. 

There's one thing Im finding difficult to fix. 

The reservoir of the clutch- fluid broke, The reservoir itself is replaced and I've bought the fluid, but I have no idea how to vent it. 

Any suggestions anyone?

Martin, do you mean as you add fluid to the empty reservoir for the air to escape (vent)?

If so, simply attach all the lines and fill the reservoir. Much of the air will bubble out as the fluid settles and with a few squeezes of the lever. Then bleed the clutch at the slave as usual.

On one occasion, I had the misfortune to break the internal master cylinder spring from the over travel caused by the extreme lever movement in the bleeding operation. Excessive free-play in the lever movement appeared immediately. Resolved with Brembo rebuild kit!

Martin, do you mean as you add fluid to the empty reservoir for the air to escape (vent)?

If so, simply attach all the lines and fill the reservoir. Much of the air will bubble out as the fluid settles and with a few squeezes of the lever. Then bleed the clutch at the slave as usual.

On one occasion, I had the misfortune to break the internal master cylinder spring from the over travel caused by the extreme lever movement in the bleeding operation. Excessive free-play in the lever movement appeared immediately. Resolved with Brembo rebuild kit!

Thanx Docc, 

Is it that simple? I'll go try it. 

Because of the crash was a bit worried that there's a possibility of dirt in the line and that I would have to clean everyhing.

There was some dirt on the rim of the broken reservoir. Should I worry? Or can I just fill it up?

Have you bled the clutch recently? if not now is your opportunity! Pretty easy if you have the back wheel off.

No I haven't bled the clutch recently. Unfortunately I do not have a stand to lift the bike. Is bleeding the clutch a necessity? And how is it done?

Even if I would have a stand to lift the bike's rear, then I still would be a bit concerned to take off the back wheel, with the driveshaft and all. (never done it, obviousy)

Hi Martin!  The wheel comes off quite easily. 
- Pop her on a stand.

- 6mm hex to remove the caliper. (needly nose pliers for r-clip first!) and hangar.

- axle nut off.

- slide a chock o wood under the tyre to take the weight.

- pull axle thru most of the way, leave some in to hold the bevel box.
- sit behind, grab tyre, slide chock out, ease it to the left off the drive splines.

- hoik it out.  Important- be mindful of the spacer that should sit on the axle, between wheel and bevel box!

Bleed clutch, will prob need a good scrub around there first with a toothbrush or similar + some degreasant or such.

Pump grease into your nipples man!

Finger your bearings for play!

Re-assemble.

Stew