Selling My V11S

moto fugazzi

As is turns out, I'm forced to sell my 2001 V11S. Almost 40k miles, and now running perfectly.

However, there is good news. I just bought a 2004 V11 Cafe. Approx. 8k miles, but needs a little bit of attention. I need to get one bike roadworthy, and the other bike ready for sale. Anybody here interested?

Here's a pic of the 2004:

Ken

IMG_6261_zpsmemmk4b3.jpg

That V11 is a rather storied ride having been in your loving possession for quite some time, did it not come from forum member JRT and has that incredible R90S fairing?

Yes, it's from JRT, and that bike and I have been on some amazing adventures together. Over 20K miles in the past 3 years, and now that it's well sorted, another bike comes my way that needs a little TLC. As much as I like these bikes, it seems silly to have 2 of them.

Things I need to do to the Cafe:

1. New Speedo. Not sure if I want a new ITI, or go with a Speedhut. 

2. Ohlins front fork weeps a little. Local Ducati dealer will refurb for $90 labor + $60 for seals and fluid. Better than me spending several hours on them, and       they'll have it done the same day I drop it off.

3. Tank off maintenance checklist. Thanks for all of that info, docc. It needs all new fluids, filters and greasing, and I can knock that out in an afternoon. I'll replace the wheel bearings when I take the forks in. 

4. Front fairing. It's missing, and I'm not used to having the headlight and instrument cluster stationary. Anybody have any ideas for a cool fairing?

Ken

As much as I like these bikes, it seems silly to have 2 of them.

Front fairing. It's missing, and I'm not used to having the headlight and instrument cluster stationary. Anybody have any ideas for a cool fairing?

Ken

Agreed. Absolutely silly to have 2 of them. Congratulations on the Cafe Sport and best of luck with the sale.

The Laverda fairing is lovely, but I think it would require modification to the bars. Do you like the LeMans fairing? Mine had higher bars on when I got it - so it might be an easy fit for you with the Cafe's bars. If you're going to pitch the gauges, that gives you even more flexibility with fairings and lights. Ghezzi-Brian has some attractive options.

- Silly

• Like 1

@ nobleswood: what does "prefer" mean?

• I prefer the look of the Scura's fairing and I like seeing all the mechanical stuff up front.  IMO the Scura and Cafe Sport are the most attractive bikes in the V11 series, rolling art... but the Cafe Sport is better sorted (engine paint, no flywheel-bomb, fuel pump system, etc).
  • I prefer the wind protection and lower ambient noise of the LeMans fairing at higher speeds; I can tuck into that fairing and get all the way under the wind bubble if I want to. I thought the LeMans fairing would be a bit of a PITA for maintenance, but I can remove the tank and/or valve covers without removing the fairing - so it's not a pre-step to most maintenance.

@Ken 

Are the instruments and lights mounted to the frame on the Cafe Sport? I assumed they would be fork-mounted, like the Scura and your red-frame sport. BTW - I had a BMW R100CS with the same fairing as you have on your black bike. I always thought that was a beautiful design (and something of an anomaly for BMW). I think that fairing looks fantastic on your black V11. Have you considered swapping some brackets between the two bikes? I think the BMW S fairing would be sweet on the Cafe Sport - especially if you paint it to match the tank.  :food:  

Heh!  Fairings are for girly girly girl girls!
A real man wants the fierce wind and snarly bugz a-mashin in iz moustache!
Don't fear the wind!!  Embrace it!!  RRarrrr!!

• 2 months later...