Old V11 Article

stewgnu

Fun article, thanks.

1. "The trick is to get your gear changing and braking done before the corner."         That's exactly what I thought till I set my suspension sag correctly.
  2. "...could be just the machine for the eleven-pointers amongst us."        What the heck is an eleven-pointer? Can I be one? This is just the machine for me. What else do eleven-pointers like that I should know about?
  3. "...near painful vibes..."         Ya big sissy.  (ow, it nearly hurt... boo-hoo)
  4. "...gaze over yer pint at its glossy green paint and sculpted tank."         Refreshing. By that I mean the pint and the prose. I don't think the lawyers let us print sentences like that in the US. Could be interpreted as suggesting that we get drunk and go riding, and open up a class-action lawsuit...

Technical question:  Did the Marzocchi's ever have both compression and rebound adjustment? IIRC my 2003 manual also mentions that feature, but I think both adjusters are only for rebound.

• Like 1

Yah - the early Sports (and Rosso Mandello) have compression on the left and rebound on the right.

Points off for the author saying the frame dates back 30 years. Not so - the spine fame came in with the Daytona (1992?)

I do enjoy the old write-ups and have not seen that one. What magazine was that in?

Hee hee!

"Eleven pointers"?? No idea.

Who the hell intends to brake, change gears and corner simultaneously?  Learn to ride perchance...

Personally I like the vibes.

I was chucking a fuktonne of old mags- this was a 1999 issue of Ride magazine.  So poss the initial release of the v11?  That's all it got. tsk.

In 1999, in the UK, bike magazines generally catered solely for sportsbikes and sportbike riders.  Occasionally they did a write-up on sports-tourers, buuut they were really thinking of sportsbikes while they did it.

"Top Speed 136 (claimed)"

I have personally taken mine right round the clock 'till it would not go any further. :)

Which must be at least 140, 145...

Then the clock broke. :angry:

Hee hee!

"Eleven pointers"?? No idea.

I had to Google it - because I just had to know what else 11-pointers might like.  Apparently, they like does, as in female deer.  An "11-pointer" is a big, old, male deer. I suppose that reference in the article is meant to call the V11 Sport an old-timers bike.  :oldgit:

Probably fine just to post it in this thread.

Yet, I'm not the best at knowing how to post a .pdf since it can't be done with a hammer . . . :blush:

Hey guys, I tried attaching to this post, but there is a 200KB limitation... Each page is a 1.4 MB .PDF, so I'm not sure what we can do. I tried making a screen capture in to a .jpg, but that came out like pooh.

I don't have the original printed article, but I'll see if I can get my buddy to scan as a .jpg straight away.

Being an old fart, when I read the ref to 'eleven pointer' I thought of the movie 'Spinal Tap' where the guitarist is showing off his massive amp. And points out to the interviewer that 'unlike most amps where the volume knob goes to 10. His goes to 11! So it must be louder !

How this relates I'm not sure