heat & electrics

andy york

So docc, just confirming the Omron Z2247-ND is the relay for the V11,is that the case?

If so why do you recommend these, any particular reason?

Ciao

That's very courteous of you to ask. :notworthy:

The actual OMRON (Sylvania?) part number is :

G8HN-1C2T-R DC12

I don't believe  this one is "sealed", but you can seal them running a bead of epoxy around the junction of the case and the base. I seem to recall that the sealed unit is no longer available.

I've run the original Siemans, upgraded Siemans, Bosch, GEI, and OMRON in my Sport. I've never had relay failure, but have serviced several on the road in other V11. I've never run Tycos, and would advise anyone to change them to something else.

The Bosch and GEI are good relays. Yet, I was compelled by the work Ryland3210 did on examining these relays:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12326&p=133211

Let's all realize, even with the best relays, if your V11 is stored with the relay contacts open, they may corrode. Storage in damp, salty, or subfreezing environs may aggravate the contact corrosion.

Sealed OMRON are just the best available application. Some of the others are *bad* and some are *ok* - but the OMRON appear to be the very best. And for so little money, why not secure this known fail point on the V11?

So docc, just confirming the Omron Z2247-ND is the relay for the V11,is that the case?

If so why do you recommend these, any particular reason?

Ciao

That's very courteous of you to ask. :notworthy:

The actual OMRON (Sylvania?) part number is :

G8HN-1C2T-R DC12

I don't believe  this one is "sealed", but you can seal them running a bead of epoxy around the junction of the case and the base. I seem to recall that the sealed unit is no longer available.

I've run the original Siemans, upgraded Siemans, Bosch, GEI, and OMRON in my Sport. I've never had relay failure, but have serviced several on the road in other V11. I've never run Tycos, and would advise anyone to change them to something else.

The Bosch and GEI are good relays. Yet, I was compelled by the work Ryland3210 did on examining these relays:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12326&p=133211

Let's all realize, even with the best relays, if your V11 is stored with the relay contacts open, they may corrode. Storage in damp, salty, or subfreezing environs may aggravate the contact corrosion.

Sealed OMRON are just the best available application. Some of the others are *bad* and some are *ok* - but the OMRON appear to be the very best. And for so little money, why not secure this known fail point on the V11?

Very courteous of you to reply...thanks.

I currently seem to have overcharging issues, but the relays arent the problem. Howerver I always like to run the best when I can especially when the cost is low.

Ciao 

I also run the Omron GH8N-1C2T-R-DC12 the Z2247-ND is just a number that Digikey add to it for their purposes.

The last batch I got were made in Italy so the Guzzi can hardly reject those eh!

When you order relays consider purchasing a couple of microswitches Digikey CH290-ND Cherry part No DC1C-A1AA, they are not an exact match for the clutch & brake but pretty close.

www.digikey.com  in the search box Z2247-ND  or  CH290-ND

Radio Shack used to stock a microswitch with a roller lever, tear the lever off and it works too, that's what I have on my clutch at the moment, it's not waterproof but refuses to die.

• 2 weeks later...