Slow RPM return

Hi guys

I have been experiment some slow rpm return from around 3000 back to idle when I stop in a traffic light sometimes I had to rev up the engine to get idle back.

I recently perform some maintenance jobs including throttle body rubber buts replacement and reinstallation of the original air box among others.

Should I look for something in particular ?

The is ruining good with this random problem

TIA

I had that problem once. 

I was puzzled at first too. When I revved the engine and quickly released the throttle it went back to idle speed, because it had enough momentum to snap-back through the resistance of the sticky linkage or gummed-up springs.

Try cleaning and lubricating the springs that close the throttle bodies - and all the other parts of the throttle linkage. Open and close the throttle with the bike off - try to notice where it is sticking.

I hope it is the same problem that I experienced, if so, you'll be done with it in 10 minutes of cleaning.

Also, look for anything dragging on the throttle cable on the left side (wiring, fuel line, ignition wire, or the white adjusting knob under the bell crank).

When my throttle starts hanging, I often find the rubber handgrip has pushed outward onto the bar-end weight making a sticky return.

Another thing to check is make sure the boots that connect the TBs to the heads are seated and no leaks. An intake leak can make the motor slow to drop to idle as it leans out the mixture. A small leak can do that without much effect on the rest of the running.

Making sure the TPS moves smoothly and is set correctly is also important.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to confess that i have been busy playing with my new project. It is a 2000 Yamaha TDM 850 for daily driving porpoises.

But I did check my slow RPM return to idle and I found that the choke cam was the culprit, clean adjust and voila she's is running as should be.

Thanks on more time  

Check to verify it is a mechanical problem . With the engine off , twist the throttle to 1/2 turn and release . It should snap shut. Do this 3 or 4 times to verify it is o.k. Then do this with 3/4 throttle and then full throttle . If this all turns out to work o.k. your problem is not mechanical .