&*(%&* oil filter!

Guest IanJ

the v sump is made by moto spezial in germany, and does a much better job in cooling, dynotec thinks it's enough for 135hp 4v guzzi's. so get rid of that oilcooler too. Only minus is the price.

I have used the deep V sump for two years now and I am very pleased with it. By going to the deep V pan, all the plumbing is removed from the sump (yes that included the pipe Ian damaged) and the oil cooler is also removed. The only pain for installing this sump is that you will need to fabricate a piece to support the side stand. I went without a sidestand support for about a year and my bike seemed like it was leaning farther and farther over. Turned out the cast iron side stand bracket was actually bending. So a day cutting filing, bending and welding, I made up a bracket the bolts to the sump flange bolts to the side stand. Problem solved. Oh yeah, you will also have to weld on a tab on the side stand bracket to keep the side stand from resting against the exhaust pipe when it is the released position. The side stop is removed with the stock pan. As for the worry of the oil filter being punctured by debri from the front tire, just use a factory Guzzi filter, the metal is much thicker than the normal aftermarket filters.

Mike

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raceco has, or at least had, a deeper v-shaped sump with the

filter on the outside:

i use it on my proto too, moto spezial one,

and the last release also have little "window" to check oil level.

• 2 weeks later...
Micha said that they do in fact torque those filters on pretty hard, since they have a history of coming off inside the pan, which is bad.

Not that it will work for the V11 motor, but when I got my first oil filter service for my California 1100i 75th Anni, Mark Etheridge of Moto Guzzi Classics added a large hose clip around the circumference of the filter. It was positioned so that should the filter try to unwind itself, the head of the clip would prevent further movement.

Perhaps dropping the sump on the V11 might allow a similar arrangement, but I'm yet to go there on my Le Mans, my filter spanner works fine.