relay question

mik

I am new to the wonderful world of MotoGuzzi...just bought a 2003 LeMans in December. I haven't had much of a chance to ride it but I love this machine :bike:

My question is about what seems to be an extra relay that I have seen only in my LeMans and no others around here of the same year...there aren't too many. :lol:

Thats a good thing though :) The extra is of Denso manufacture. Thanks in advance for any help. mik :bier:

You didn't specify whether you bought it new or used. If it's used, savvy owners frequently install a horn relay and upgrade to a better horn. Alternatively, if it's a late mode production-run wise, there be be differences in the wiring. Does the relay look like a manufacture installation, or is it somewhere else on the bike?

I purchased the LeMans new from a dealer. When I asked him about the other relay he said he thought it could have been a unit for the turn signals that someone at the factory decided to install right up next to the other five. He also smiled and said " I told you that no two Moto Guzzis were alike." :lol:

I had taken a picture of the relay panel and he is going to send it to MG for an answer...that ought to be fun :P I tried to upload the image a couple of times already (to this page) but it won't take. If I weren't so lazy and it wasn't so cold in my garage I might be tempted to start unpluging stuff to try and find the answer.

There were no add ons to this machine (other than what I've done) and it appears to be a later model 03 with the satin black finish on the motor instead of the crinkle paint. I have mounted the Teknic bags, installed an accessory plug, changed my dash to carbon fiber (the factory unit had fingerprints in the anodizing and was purple not black :drink: , I guess Luigi had to much wine.) and put the MG carbon tank protector on. Now, if only the weather here would cooperate me and my new MG would be very happy :bike: mik

Image09.jpg

Guest captain nemo

Hey, I was going to label my relays tomorrow - where are those pictures about doing this that appeared here about 2 months ago? I'd like to know what is what with those relays.

MIK - congratulations on your new Guzzi. You have good taste. Welcome to the club. One word of advice - don't break while in corners..... :thumbsup:

cap, thanks for the welcome. I'm very happy to have found this site :) as it is already proving to be one of the major accessories to owning and riding a Moto

Guzzi. I picked up my LeMans a few weeks back and was able to get just a few miles on it before the snow started. I had ridden only the Breva and liked the stimulation it had on my senses. ^_^ I've wanted a MG for thirty years and I must say that I'm glad I finally got one...I plan on taking lots of trips on this LeMans as it seems to fit me very nicely.This emoticon is my favorite :bike: cuz thats how I feel about my MG. As for the relay thing, it would be nice to know which is which but the important thing is that they work. Let me know how you make out with the labeling project as I'd like to do the same :bier: mik

Hey, I was going to label my relays tomorrow - where are those pictures about doing this that appeared here about 2 months ago? I'd like to know what is what with those relays.

That original thread isRelay Failures.

Here is a photo of the relays with the stick on letters. The turn signal flasher was relocated to this spot to make room for the junction block.

There is nothing intuitive about the wiring to the relays. A careful review of the wiring diagram is vital to understand how the current flows.

S - starter

L - lights

N - neutral ( side stand)

C - ECU

F - injectors/ pump/ coils

labeled_relays.JPG

docc, thanks for posting the image of the relay panel. I tried to follow the wiring schematic in my owners hand book and although I may be Italian of ancestry :helmet: I have a hard time understanding their engineering principles.

That, and the fact that I'm a plumber :luigi: and not an electrician :lol: I am going to label my relays shortly, then go out and pick up a few spares. Am I correct in assuming that all of the relays are the same other than the oddball which looks to be for my turn signals? mik

Guest captain nemo

Yea, thanks Docc. I wish there was some easy way to comprehend the electical system. Maybe there is. I'm looking for websites that will train me in all the basics. I've never taken an engine apart or did any serious mods. I'm curious now though.

Mik,

Do you have a turn signal flasher mounted any where else?

Does your 'extra relay' click and cllick with the turn signals on?

docc....yep, thats my flasher unit. I used my tactile senses and went thru a few functions on the machine and turned the key on and off while touching the relays.

All seems as it should be with the map you supplied :thumbsup: It may take me some time to familiarize myself with the LeMans as I've been used to Triumphs for almost 40 years :lol: The Moto Guzzi seems to have that intangible that I missed in the new Bonneville...err, not really intangible. I just love the feel of the motor :mg:

It's the perfect yin to my Daytona's yang. Did I say that right? When it gets a little warmer I'll be a little more intuitive about the Goose. This is a great site! mik :bier:

mik,

Your LeMans is a Rosso Corsa or a Nero Corsa?

((My turn signals went on the fritz yesterday. Darned bike must have caught wind of this thread. Rampant animism! :( ))

docc, my LeMans is a standard model in Rosso Nero trim, or red and black. The dealer had another 03...same colors but it had the crinkle finish on the motor. I wanted the crinkle finish but he talked me out of it because of the paint problems.

It is being returned to MG. I looked under it's seat and it had the normal relay set up but three of the relays were Siemens and two were Tycho...go figure :huh2:

It doesn't have the flasher relay where the one on my machine is located...

another faux pas from the factory :luigi: From what I understand the MG factory is in wine country :lol: let me know whats up with your flashers..hope it isn't serious.....mik

mik,

.... the "Nero Corsa" and the standard black '03/04 should be quite different than just the engine finish. Although, no stock black bikes should have the "crinkle" or "fuzzy" paint though, so this is odd :huh2: The "fuzzy" finish was an '01(Rosso Mandello) and '02 feature, and the LeMans in '02(first year) was only offered in Champagne, and the Red/Gray schemes.

All black and red LeMans were offered starting the second year, '03, and continue through this year, and these bikes were delivered with the new "satin" black engine finish. I suppose it's possible that a few early '03 black or red bikes were delivered with the "fuzzy" engine finish, but I haven't seen any :huh2: Anyway, not doubting you, it's just odd.

Your '04 Nero Corsa should have the black/gray checkerboard paint scheme, "satin" engine paint, and full Ohlins suspension, which is the big difference :bike:

al