thinkin about a cruiser

footgoose

I'm leaning towards getting another "cruiser" ...standard style highway bike. First thought is a V11 Cali style. Not crazy about the low slung look but that's not a problem with the Tonti, is it. I know several LM owners here also have them. My question to you bunch is... what years are better, regarding fits and niggles. I'm somewhat up on the V11LM's "best and worst" vintage, but the cruisers, not so much. Did they ever make a 6 spd? Is the top gearing (5th) long enough? Do they share any of the LM's problems? I really like the EV rim spoke wheels (tubeless??) Recommendations, opinions appreciated.

thanks, David

Bassa! mine was faster than my V11.. in 5th it turned like 4500 at 80 and the LM had to run 5k to make 80..

99-00 Bassa had the tubeless rims gen 1 like the early EV.. foot pegs but boards are interchangalbe from the EV (lower frame rail swap

15m CPU bullet proof. 42mpg loaded..

IMG_0500-L.jpg

should never had sold it, he stole it from me for $3500.

thanks foto. takin' me back to iron mtn rd. love it. LOVED the video. Well done! the 'rider in the windscreen' shot --very cool. that Bassa is sweet. is 99-00 the years you'd look for if you were going to replace it? and, sorry but, what does "15m cpu bulletproof" mean?

Foto- Awesome video, thanks so much for posting!  Especially the wild life.  Having had a buffalo walk up next to the "95 Mustang convertible I was driving, I cant imagine how intimidated and vulnerable you must have felt having one step right in front of you and check out your ride.

Thanks again, great job-

Jerry

thanks foto. takin' me back to iron mtn rd. love it. LOVED the video. Well done! the 'rider in the windscreen' shot --very cool. that Bassa is sweet. is 99-00 the years you'd look for if you were going to replace it? and, sorry but, what does "15m cpu bulletproof" mean?

15M computer (same as your spine frame bikes), smaller than the EV box that was right under your tailbone (98-01 EV) bullet proof as in they don't have many problems (nor did the earlier p9 box in the 98 EV)

99-00 are the only years for the Bassa.. same running gear as the EV so any of them are close to the same.. for me the tubeless rims were key, the Cal Special Sport is what the Bassa evolved into but they regressed to the tube type rims.

so I recommend the Bassa or a 2001-04 EV, the rims changed on the EV to chromed tubeless, not as elegant in my view.

Mate, If you want a no bullshit bike get yourself a Jackal. Freaking awesome. Fast, yet cruisy. Elegant yet ballsy.

I've had over 100 bikes, mostly Japs and one BMW and this bike blows them all away. Love it.

20150907_133725_zpsnlyw7sdl.jpg

Calijackalbob, Nice bike.. running gear is all the same as the Bassa but for me the tubeless rims were priceless! flat tire? plug and go without even taking the wheel off. tubes on the side of the road, BTDT never again.

I'm def going after the tubeless spoke wheels. I'll be after whichever Guzzi "California" style cruiser is the best for the money. They are all the same but for trim levels and names, right? 98-01 they seem like a deal at 3 to 4k

jackalbob.. that Jackal is NICE

thanks, gents

Thanks guys. i like it too. Wait til the Jackal's "Finished." Still more chrome and a new paint job in the future........

Anyway. I recommend the Jackal as a great blank canvas. No linked brakes, but room to put a second disc up front. (Did you notice twin wave blade front discs?) 

I considered,... made an offer on a Cali Vintage, but realised I just wanted to strip it down to look like the Jackal, ..... so I bought the jackal instead.

Floorboards might look cool, and be comfy, but try getting your toe under the gear shifter........ 

If you like the look of my Jackal, consider the wastefulness of getting a different model and removing all the excess, unnecessary stuff. Some have unsightly chrome covers and bits that just seem to be there for the sake of having  more chrome.

anyway. Good luck with your hunt for the perfect cruiser.

Here are a couple nice examples in Southern California:

California Titanium:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/5217109765.html

EV Aluminum:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5219228694.html

point to note, niether of those have tubeless rims.. and the 03 might be a Hydro motor, I wouldn't touch it unless the recall was performed before any miles acumulated.

California Titanium:

EV Aluminum:

point to note, niether of those have tubeless rims.. and the 03 might be a Hydro motor, I wouldn't touch it unless the recall was performed before any miles acumulated.

There's the difference between "smart" and "shiny-object-syndrome" (aka S.O.S.).  I just thought they were pretty...

California Titanium:

EV Aluminum:

What's up with the Hydro motor? I'm trying to narrow down the best years. So far I'm guessing 98 - 01....   ??

The first thing is that Tonti California Moto Guzzis are NOT cruisers.  They have standard riding positions and are a variation on the sport Tontis.  They handle and brake pretty well and If not particularly powerful they still rev.  Don't lug the engine and don't shift to 5th gear until an indicated 80 mph.

I have a '98 EV (it's photo was actually in an issue of Motorcyclist).  The EV has floor boards, linked brakes, passenger backrest and tubeless wheels.  Before you decide to take off the boards and delink the brakes (as I intended), ride it, it all works well together.  I like up-shifting with my heel.  The draw back is an uncomfortable seat due to a big computer under it.  Mine has HB Junior bag set up and I have matching rack on the Sport so I can swap the bags among bikes. 

It's basically the same short block and electronics as the Spineys but a little less finicky.  Although the TPS swap is giving me fits now.

Every motorcyclist should have a Cali IMO.

What's up with the Hydro motor? I'm trying to narrow down the best years. So far I'm guessing 98 - 01....   ??

I'm not the expert but for 1 year they used hydraulic valves.. the problem was they didn't harden the camsshaft (or something like that) and the wear would run thru the oil pump and ruin it. that's why you want a recalled motor that was never run before the fix..Others will have the true facts, I'm just givin the Cliff's notes here,.