Brand new Guzzi owner... please chime in !

Cobra23

Hello,

I just traded a very nice hand built KZ 900 for a V-11 Cafe Sport, 2004 model.

I used the KZ rider forum for many years and found the other builders to be quite helpful.

http://www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/274097-1975-kz-900-zrx-swingarm-89-gsxr-front-end

I am hoping the same is true here.v11 post.jpg

Since about 1985 I have wanted a Guzzi, this chance came up so I took it. Both the new owner of the KZ and I are very happy.

Now.. I came upon this forum during a search for technical info on the V-11. I am fairly mechanical, and own a Ducati Monster S4R as well. There are many questions I have about the Guzzi, For instance I have been reading about the shifter return spring problem for two days, stumbled upon the VIN #'s of the bikes affected, and it looks like mine has the correct spring/boss combination based on its VIN #. 

I have noticed that I cannot drop two or three gears in a row while entering a corner, and suspect this is due to the transmission design, perhaps all guzzi's do this it still makes me a little nervous. The Ducati will practically go all the way down to first from sixth when braking to enter a turn, as long as you are blipping the throttle. Aside from that, I have have not noticed anything strange about the bike.

Rode 350 miles through the Sierras last weekend, following a KTM 1190. The bike handles very well for its size.

I love it !!

Now help me get mechanically familiar

with the bike.

Are there good sources for a shop manual? 

Is the down shifting normal?

Can you recommend a good dealer service provider in Nevada? Or perhaps Northern California?  I plan on having the bike serviced by a dealer in the spring to make sure its all set for some very long rides next summer.

Welcome Cobra23 and congrat's on your Cafe Sport.  You can find the shop and parts manuals here:  http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_misc.html

I haven't had the downshifting issue that you have but I tend to throttle blip and release the clutch lever on my downshifts.  You probably need to let the clutch out at least a little bit after dropping a couple gears before downshifting again to keep the gearbox spinning.

Sorry but I don't have any dealer recommendations.

Is the down shifting normal?

I've found on my '02 and '03 LeMans V11 that each downshift needs a blip on the throttle plus a release on the clutch to keep the gearbox turning. Part of the character of these bikes. 

You will grow to really love these bikes. Welcome...

The good news is, a post 03 gearbox has lots of adjustment available to fix what you describe - after an hour of staring at my shift mechanism and drinking coffee I eventually worked out the idea and now my 03 can slip up / down the gears like every other bike I've owned. The bad news is there are several variations between 02 and 04 so you'll need to remove the cover to see what you have - and prey you don't have the " boomerang" bracket - it sounds scary.

On mine, I found there were 2 eccentric cams that needed fine tuning. I call one a stopper cam - it's described in several posts on here and seems to adjust how far the gear lever swings. Getting it right really helped with gear 2-4 ( don't ask why, I put it down to an itallian thing...)

The biggest improvements came from the cam that moves the whole pawl mechanism. I couldn't find a description of how to adjust it on here, so brew some really good coffee, or open up a nice red and leave it breathing for a while.....you're about to understand why guzzi owners are " individuals" ....If you look outside the case, near where the gear shaft exits, there is a big nut with a smaller dome nut over the top - good luck.

This inside shot shows the " stopper" cam - that off centre screw thing. Notice how the arm that swings up to it has a couple or lumps? Have fun....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441934120.012886.jpg

Now, if you look to the left, and squint with your tongue pointing out to the right, you'll notice the pawl spring is sitting on a shaft that isn't quite central in the cut out? It took me ages to realise I could adjust this from the other cam I mentioned. Sorry if this isn't clear - I never could find a decent picture with names of the bits.

Disclaimer - tongue possition my vary in the northern hemisphere.

You guys are AWESOME. I suspected tranny (oops I mean "transmission") needed some spinning between shifts, but have not tried it yet. I will be storing the bike this winter, and riding this spring ALOT!

While its in the garage I want to explore everything.

The description of the shifting linkage adjustment is priceless.

The previous owner says all Guzzi owners that know their stuff use 10w-60 motor oil... wow. This is correct?

I use 15/40 oil & don't use the clutch after I get going. Make sure the shift lever pivot shaft is not rusty and binding . I extended the shift lever arm to get VERY short throws on the shifter.

When I first started riding Guzzis, I occasionally could not get the shifts to happen correctly, but eventually realized that I still holding light pressure on the lever after a shift, and this was not letting it select the next gear correctly. As soon as I figured that out all the shifting was smooth. I could have moved the lever one spline to prevent this, but it was easy to adapt. Once in a blue moon I get a neutral if I am short shifting, but I think it is just not being positive with the lever. In general I find the shifting is quite nice on both of my Guzzis in comparison with all of the other bikes I own..

The previous owner says all Guzzi owners that know their stuff use 10w-60 motor oil... wow. This is correct?

I use 15/40 oil...

I use 20w-50 synthetic. Seems to me that informed owners use different oils (search for "oil" and read diverse opinions to your heart's content). I'm not so sure that small changes in oil weight make a practical difference. Mine seem to be happy with a little over-filling too - a bit of extra oil to prevent oil starvation on a good, steep, uphill romp. Many members have installed the Roper Plate to keep the oil from sloshing back in those circumstances (or during wheelies, which I don't do). If you're going to ride aggressively in the mountains, a Roper Plate might be good insurance for your lovely new Cafe Sport.

As for shifting, mine are both crisp and positive without modification - except that if I get sloppy or lazy I can find a false neutral. However, I have not tried dropping multiple gears at one go.

And welcome.  :thumbsup:

Finding a dealer that will fine tune your V11 is rather unlikely. You can do this!

>Before you take the sideplate off the gearbox, inspect the foot lever assembly: make sure it does not hit the frame sideplate ("porkchop") in the downstroke; remove the lever and clean, shim, and lubricate all the pivot points.

>Change the gearbox oil and rear drive oil. Many have found RedLine Shockproof to be near magical for shift quality (I prefer the "lightweight")

>Bleed the clutch fluid.

Check out these maintenance checklists in FAQ:

Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist

Tank Off Maintenance Checklist

For run quality, see the tune-up procedure (that, admittedly, could use some updating):  TPS Setup and Throttle Body Balancing

That ought to keep you busy through the winter! :rolleyes:

Seriously, that's a lot of info, so don't get overwhelmed. Just work through it a bit at a time and you'll have a finely fettled V11! :luigi::thumbsup:

The redline oil makes sense. All of this advice makes sense. 

I think I am leaving just a snippet of pressure on the lever between down shifts, I get impatient. 

The 60 weight oil, has one drawback, the motor seems to turn very slow when its cold, and you are cranking it over with the electric starter.

15-40 synthetic it is.

Much reading to do. On the Ducati I own, the ECU must be synced to the throttle bodies once you have balanced them. Would it be correct to assume you can mechanically balance the throttle bodies, and move forward without plugging a tablet into the brain?

. . . Much reading to do. . . .

Don't let those links I posted stop the discussion! We're all interesting in throwing in with you to get your V11 on top of the world! :mg: