California rear hub compatibility?

sp838

Sorry if this has been asked before, but an idea popped into my head and I was wondering if anyone knew the answer off hand: would the rear hub from a California V11 of the same vintage be compatible with the rear drives on our V11 LeMans?

(don't have it handy right now but I'm gonna look this up in Guzziology, might be some clues there.)

I can think of no reason it would not.  It would be dumb not to use the same components on all models

. Maybe different gear ratios IDK ? Is this what you are after ? 

For a while I had a fantasy of running spoked alloy wheels. Now I fantasize about running Marvic wheels, but after having this idea, I thought I'd at least research it. Looking at the part numbers didn't make me overly optimistic though, as many of the cush drive part numbers appear to be different, for starters. Wheel bearings are the same though... Inconclusive at this point.

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/california-ev-pi-cat-1100-2003-2005/rear-wheel-en-ev-pi-cat-1100-2003-2005.html

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-cafe-ballabio-1100-2003-2005/rear-wheel-en-v11-cafe-ballabio-1100-2003-2005.html

The V11s have an open shaft, the California is in the swing arm, I don't know if that makes a difference.

The wheels on my 98 EV are nice tubeless spoked.

• Like 1

Very interesting, 98 EV actually shares some common parts... I wonder how the widths of the hubs compare.

If I was to do it, I would lace them up to some excel rims. Our stock rear wheel is a boat anchor. 

I'll bet the Cali rims weight quite a bit more than the stock mags..

The stock V11 wheels are pretty heavy as well.

I would not be surprised if you were able to build some spoke wheels that were as light or lighter than the stock V11 wheels.

I would not be surprised if you were able to build some spoke wheels that were as light or lighter than the stock V11 wheels.

Tubes add back a lot of weight, don't they?

Tubes add back a lot of weight, don't they?

It is easy enough to convert a spoke wheel to tubeless. SuperMoto guys do it all the time. There are cheap ways to do it and expensive ways.

A typical tube does not weigh that much, but it does add weight. The bigger reason to convert for something like a Guzzi is that flat tires aren't as sudden and repairing on the roadside is easier. Tubes tend to loose air very suddenly in the event of a flat, and repairing a flat cannot be done using a quick plug when you have a tube.

So, you can run spoke wheels without running a tube.

The cheap way to convert involves duct tape and silicone. As scary as that may sound, it is done fairly often.