Clutch Question

moto fugazzi

• 6 months later...

I think I figured out the "notchiness" part of the shifting. There's an allen bolt head that the shifter linkage (tie rod end) was rubbing against. I'm not sure if this bolt holds something in place internally, or if it just a mounting bolt for the cover, but replacing it with a button head bolt would take care of the issue.

This would explain the issue I was having with the shifter lever sticking in the down position occasionally whilst downshifting. When I would let the clutch lever out, the shift lever would pop back into place. 
Ken

This video might work. Photobucket is being stupid right now.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll83/ksiegel7/V11%20Cafe/th_IMG_8719_zpswr4lxgon.mp4

A pic of the bolt and tie rod end (between the tie rod end and hose clamp).

IMG_8720_zpslafyl9uz.jpg

Ken - I also just sorted a shifting problem. I feared all the complicated stuff - but the problem on mine was also in the linkage.

I think you may solve the wrong problem if you replace the bolt on the cover. From what I can see, it appears that the clamping bolt is missing from the cast shift linkage piece (the actuating lever). That splined shaft has a groove in it, the bolt seats in that groove and keeps the arm from sliding in too far - which would prevent it from contacting the bolt you are concerned about.

The surface of the shaft should be flush with the lever. It's kind of hard to see on mine (since everything mysteriously turned black) but maybe this picture will help you see what I mean.

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 10.18.03 AM.jpg

I had that bolt come loose one day and the linkage wedged itself somewhere. I was in fourth about twenty miles from home. Middle of FL in the summer, fearing my transmission was kaput. I was so relieved it was something simple. From 0-70mph in fourth gear is no problem.

OK - so it looks you are all set. :thumbsup:

I think that, from the factory, the line that's stamped into the face of the splined shaft is supposed to line up with the gap in the cast arm.