Rattle under acceleration

sdhow

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Si!  Only V11 on the list.  Thought it was obvious.

The more I listen to it, the more I think it's slightly loose valve adjustment.  The P.O. lived out East of Escondido and he may have adjusted it on the loose side, given the extreme heat out there in the summer.

I've had the exhaust completely apart, so I don't think that's it. Tourqued all of the engine to frame mounting bolts when I had the plastic off the bike.

If the exhaust has been apart, it wouldn't hurt to go back over it and snug everything up.

Perhaps, a comprehensive *tune-up* is in order.

Yeah...thanks.  Done that twice.  I've done everything involved in a "comprehensive tune up" EXCEPT adjust the valves...because supposedly they had just been done by the PO before I bought it.  And it ran so poorly before, I probably couldn't HEAR and valve clatter!  Now that the TBs are sync'ed and it's in "tune", I hear every little noise.

Had a mechanic with older Guzzi experience (late 70's to pre-spine frames) listen to it.  He thought the sound was emanating from the valvetrain and being resonated through the air box. Not really anything out of the ordinary, merely amplified due to the inherent design of the V11's intake system.

I'll adjust the valves and see how it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...valve clearances are right on; double checked everything again.  Had another person with Ducati/Guzzi experience ride it and he came back with the same thing.  Normal top end acoustic resonance being transmitted through the air box.  These V11s are just new to me, so I guess I'm a little overly cautious.

Nope, bone stock with stock air filter.  All new boots and sealed up tight.

Like I said, I'm very conscious of any noise, especially when comparing it to my 1200 4V Sport. 

Yes, yes, yes and...yes.  Took all the plastic off the bike, thoroughly cleaned and inspected everything and torqued all visible fasteners.

These things are just noisier than the Breva chassis bikes.  Guess you could call it "charm" or "personality."

Are you thinking it's valve clatter then?  Nothing untoward happening?

I get the rattle too- opening it up at speed whilst in a higher gear and at lower revs.

I had assumed it was pinking and was trying to avoid it when possible....

Are we in any consensus on this?  I find the rattle to be quite an unsettling noise.

I tried both 100 octane unleaded and a blend of Shell V-Power and 100 low-lead Avgas and got no noticeable difference in the sound, so I don't think it's detonation.  My buddy, who's a long tine euro-bike rider said. "What are you talking about?  It sounds like a Guzzi!!!"