Tell me about my '01 V11 Sport

HRC_V4

I have nothing to give to this topic ....other than my laughter.  " Shady Valley".....
I know it well    

only person i know that received a citation at the top of the mountain and the bottom of the mountain 

ME  !!!

:ninja:

Don't you kids make me me come up there to East Tennessee with my multi-meter! ;)

I can supply after ride beer, Ridgewood BBQ, and even a motorcycle to ride if you don't want that far of a ride... Maybe a bed too if my dog likes you... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If the basic tune-up (fresh plugs, valve adjustment, CO, TPS, air bypass, throttle body balance) hasn't given good results, I would begin to look elsewhere.

What are you using for relays?

Have you serviced the ignition switch?

Status of the battery/ charging system? (Melted 30 amp fuse? Full service of grounds including Gearbox ground, regulator ground? Status of battery voltages over the functional range?)

I have the new style relays, but only one is installed, I guess I could install the others.  Charging system is good.  I installed a mosfet regulator, at idle I am in the high 12 volt range, above 2k rpms, I am 13.5+, but I only max out about 13.8 or 13.9, not matter the rpm.  Battery is always close to full charge when done riding, so I think I am good.

Other than cold starts, the bike runs great, hot starts are very quick.

I will try a start then pull the plugs and see if they are wet.  With only 5k miles after 15 years, a leaking injector is possible.

Shady Valley is fun, needs another repave on the Bristol side.  I get there and out early, avoid the crowds, 100 miles round trip if I just go to the store.  I think the bike traffic has dropped recently, or it could be that I am not going as much.

I have the new style relays, but only one is installed, I guess I could install the others.

That could mean a lot of things. :huh2:

This is one the V11's Achilles' heels.  Sure, GEI (and others) are probably *fine*, but the OMRON are seriously the best.

Fresh 5-pin OMRON in all the slots would be solid, cheap method.

Disconnecting, cleaning (with electronics cleaner) and reconnecting the various sensors (especially temperature sensors) would also be good method.

When cold, guzzidiag should show that the Engine Temp and the Air Temp are the same (?)

As for voltages, charging voltage should be 14.2+.

Static/ OCV ("open current voltage" measured after no inputs or discharge for 24 hours) should be 12.84 vDC.

What's your key off battery voltage after 24 hours?

OK, let me dig into this again this weekend.  I cleaned all the grounds (added one from the front timing cover to the batter connection at the back) when I put in the new regulator.  I will measure with Guzzidiag and my volt meter.

I bought the good ones, I have them under the seat for spares, but so far no issues other than cold start, so I left it alone.  I can pop them in real quick.

OK, key off I have 12.7 volts with charger unplugged for 48 hours.  Air and Engine temp the same 21 C.  I went ahead and put all new relays in. She fired up much better, still not perfect, but better than it was.  With engine warming up, per Guzzidag, I have 13.3-13.5 volts at idle ~1,100 rpms. around 2.5k rpms I max out voltage at 13.94.  I think the lower than 14 volts is due to the new style regulator.  Max voltage does not bother me, voltage at idle is a nice surprise. 

I will ride her to work in the morning and see how she does.

• Like 1

Someone is going to have to explain to me how relays can cause hard starting, started good this morning, started great this afternoon.  Who knew, besides you all.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how relays can cause hard starting, started good this morning, started great this afternoon.  Who knew, besides you all.

There is VooDoo. :unsure:

And there is Italian VooDoo. :mg:

• Like 1

So, seriously, replacing your relays affected your cold start issue?

Either one (or more relays) had developed internal (coil or contact) problems, and/or the blade connections needed to be reseated.

No doubt, relay health is a critical interface in the function of the V11 Guzzi. :luigi:

• Like 1

I guess that must be the issue, bad contact with the key first on until it gets started and running, then it was fine until it cooled off again.  Strange...

Oh well, I will ride it again today, try to start it this morning with no fast idle and see how she does, I used a little yesterday morning, none after work.

It could be just perception, but I think she is running a little smother too!

This winter I will pull the Speedo out and send it off, it started jumping a few months ago, I put a new cable on it and it jumps less now, but I would like to get that fixed during the off season.

Thanks all!!!