Seat Compatible Early/Late Frames

Scud

I just committed to buy the Corbin Gunfighter saddle that Zorro listed in classifieds.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19386

Then it hit me - that seat is on an early, red-frame bike and mine are later bikes with different frames. Does anyone know if the seat pans are interchangeable between the early, red-frame bikes and the 2002 and later bikes?

FWIW - I tried to find the answer myself by looking up part numbers on Harper's website, but it's not functioning right now.

I'd like to know before Zorro ships it from Canada to California. Thanks in advance.

I do think there is a difference.. in the bottom plastic and you might be able to modify it.. or if it was only $125. you should be able to flip it and not loose any money..

they are different, but only in a couple spots. frame wise the same, but early seat will hit some components that mount higher on the later models. I can confirm this, but only for stock seat pans. I have a corbin too, and don't know what year it was made for (ebay). It seems to fit but I'll have to investigate further to see how well. I'll let you know any revelations I find. ditto fotoguzzi, I paid 225 for mine.

I was able to get into Harper's site and they list two different part numbers for seats for different years.

From what you guys are saying the overall dimensions and attaching mechanisms should be the same. But the shape under the seat may cause clearance problems - which can probably be addressed with some cutting or grinding. Does that seem right?

I was able to get into Harper's site and they list two different part numbers for seats for different years.

From what you guys are saying the overall dimensions and attaching mechanisms should be the same. But the shape under the seat may cause clearance problems - which can probably be addressed with some cutting or grinding. Does that seem right?

yes. my early seat fit, but under seat components are arranged differently and fouled the seat pan. once I did cut outs, it fit just like the later one. Again... the Corbin pan will be different than stock.

I kept the Sargent seat when I sold my 2001 V11S, and it fits on my 2004 Cafe Sport, although it's not a perfect fit. The cowl doesn't line up perfectly with the tail section. I haven't had any other issues yet. Installs and removes just fine.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news for me - but maybe good news for somebody else... The Corbin doesn't fit.

There are at least two points preventing the seat from closing, and I suspect that if I relieve those, that some others will reveal themselves.

Two bump stops can be easily removed by drilling out rivets, but clearing the relays would take quite a deep gouge. 

Seat Pans.jpg

It's otherwise a very nice seat, although the green corner is worn through on the edge. The red part of the seat cover is not the same hue as my LeMans' bodywork - and I am fussy about matching colors...

So, rather than cut the pan and recover the "flag" portion, I'm inclined to move this along to somebody with a red-frame sport. It would look fabulous on a silver, black, or grey tailpiece. Send me a PM if you're interested.

4-14-16 Edit:  Seat is "reserved"

• Like 1

So this got me doubting the fit of my Corbin. The photo of yours seems to match my seat. I put my seat on the 02 LM and it fit as well as one could expect for aftermarket. I had to imprint on something for a contact test. I used corrugated cardboard about 3/32". There was a small but definite hit on the front corner of the relay. And a slight corner hit on the fuse box. I'm sure I could hammer a dent to clear both. The rubber bumpers seem to be in the correct spot, but I can't really tell. The seat is a good fit otherwise.

Now, strangely enough, it doesn't fit as good on the Tenni. I didn't pursue the reason cause I don't care :) Could be the rear catch position.  Sorry about your seat, hope I didn't mislead.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news for me - but maybe good news for somebody else... The Corbin doesn't fit.

There are at least two points preventing the seat from closing, and I suspect that if I relieve those, that some others will reveal themselves.

Two bump stops can be easily removed by drilling out rivets, but clearing the relays would take quite a deep gouge. 

attachicon.gifSeat Pans.jpg

It's otherwise a very nice seat, although the green corner is worn through on the edge. The red part of the seat cover is not the same hue as my LeMans' bodywork - and I am fussy about matching colors...

So, rather than cut the pan and recover the "flag" portion, I'm inclined to move this along to somebody with a red-frame sport. It would look fabulous on a silver, black, or grey tailpiece. Send me a PM if you're interested.

No worries.. pm me some photos. I might be able to utilize it. That's if it's still available.