Out of hibernation - electrical gremlins

Gio

So - my new Angel GT's are ready to go, bike fired up and runs great after a long winter sleep ... but I noticed several electrical problems (none of which were there last year) :

No headlight, horn or brake light ... only turn signals. All fuses ok.

Referencing Kiwi-Roys diagram for the early V11 (I could not find the original - but he re-posted recently) ... the missing items seem to have relay #2 in common so I swapped that out for a spare, same result.

So am now wondering if some critters may have been chewing wires over the winter ... any insight or suggestions of where to test before of after relay #2 would be much appreciated.

Gio

OK - with Ign off I have 12.1 at the batt and with Ign on this drops to 11.7

Viewing relay # 2 base from above with Ign on I have 11.7 at top and 11.4 at bottom right

With engine running at tick-over I have 11.4 at the batt ... but this does not increase with rpm as expected ..?

First, your battery voltage is pretty low. Charge it if you can and ensure battery connections are clean and tight.

Looks like you may have a problem with the charging circuit. There are several trouble areas. First check that your 30Amp charging circuit fuse is intact and has good connections.

From there work your way backwards to the Reg/Rec under your oil cooler. Check that all connections from this unit and clean and tight. If problems persist check the condition of the yellow wires from the stator.

• Like 1

Thanks Antiquar .. agreed that batt voltage is low (just coming out of hibernation - but starts ok) .., but failure to get 13+ V whilst running is worrying ... never seen that before. The 30A fuse looks OK. What I'm trying to figure out is the connection with loss of headlight / horn / brake light ..?.

If my voltage regulator crapped out would this explain things?

Hey Gio.

11.4V at idle is very, very low. It seems like your charging circuit is severely underperforming (or totally inoperative if voltage does not rise with RPM?). Your reg/rec could be the culprit, but it could be anything on that circuit. I would not be surprised if you don't have the juice to sound the horn or run lights with 11.4V. 

I wouldn't worry about those problems until you diagnose out what is happening with your charging system.

NB: I'm not an expert, so we'll wait for Kiwi_Roy to render the definitive opinion :).

My initial thought the headlight relay is not picking up. thus the bike is not charging because it's tied into the headlight circuit.

Is the start relay a 4 pin?. it must be because the normally closed contact either picks up the start relay on newer bike or

on the older ones feeds power to the headlight relay.

Thanks for all replies ...

The age of the battery did cross my mind (8 years) - about what I got out of the first one. But was charged to ~ 12.5 before first starting and there was more than enough current to start the motor and twice since then - but voltage has dropped indicating not charging. I have had on charge overnight and will re-check this morning. Surely if there is enough juice to start the motor the headlight should come on prior to starting ??

Roy - yes, relay 2 is a 5 pin, but only 4 connections at the base. I did swap with a spare and also for the one next to it (#3) with same results.

Update - after charging overnight, battery was at 13.1 V (Ign off) and 12.5V (Ign on) so did take a charge, but problems still there.

So - electricality is not one of my fortes ... here's what I have concluded so far :

1. Battery seems good (enough) based on it's ability to a) take a charge and B) start the engine

2. I have no headlight, horn or brake light

3. Bike does not seem to be charging the battery - based on no increase in voltage when running ...

4. The 30A fuse shows typical over-heating - but is still intact

Guru Roy's comment on his wiring diagram "the regulator must have 12 volts from headlight relay and ground to operate" is calling to me ...

How can I test this?

I have "12V" at the top and bottom right of Headlight relay #2 base (as viewed from standing at left side of bike with relay pulled) ... which base contacts should I jump to rule out the relay itself (already tried swapping the relay) ?

What measurements can I make at the reg/rec to rule out some problem there?

Thanks in advance comrades ... new tires, insurance and warmer weather ... this is driving me nuts.

Gio

If I'm understanding Roy's diagram correctly a jumper between the top two contacts of relay#2 (the top having 12v) should provide voltage for headlight/horn/brakelight etc as well as the regulator ... hopefully I won't fry anything by doing this - please stop me if this is not a good idea!

If I'm understanding Roy's diagram correctly a jumper between the top two contacts of relay#2 (the top having 12v) should provide voltage for headlight/horn/brakelight etc as well as the regulator ... hopefully I won't fry anything by doing this - please stop me if this is not a good idea!

Yeah, buddy, jumping the two main blades would bypass the relay.

While your symptoms smack of Relay 2, this is also the function if Fuse 5 (have a look . . . .) and power must make it to Relay 2 through the five pin Relay 1 (you do have a 5-pin in Relay 1?)

Hey Docc ... I see what you're saying (and yes it's a 5-pin starter relay) but I have 12v at the top blade socket @ relay2 so that part of the circuit looks ok (bike also starts and runs fine - except for lack of charging)

I did jumper the main blades on relay2 last night - to no avail.

So I'm thinking the problem must be somewhere between the second blade on relay 2 (which feeds headlight etc) and the regulator (which as Roy says must have 12v to function) ... maybe my regulator crapped out and is pulling that part of the circuit down ?? How to test that?